Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Read MS SQL 2000 backup file without restoring the database Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 3:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, September 10, 2007 2:00 AM
I want to read certain data from the backup file of MS SQL 2000 without restoring the database backup file. Based on the data selected I will manage the further functionality such as restoration of the backup file.
Is it possible to read some data from MS SQL 2000 backup file without restoring? If yes then please let me know how?
Post #396786
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 9:26 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:45 AM

Unless the backup file is encrypted, you can open it with Notepad.  It's unstructured and a lot of stuff is unreadable, but there's some plain text in there.  The contents make a lot more sense if you restore the backup to a new database and look at the tables, etc.

Also, the Log reader applications from Redgate, Lumigent, et al can read a transaction log backup.

Greg

Greg
Post #396960
Posted Friday, September 7, 2007 1:10 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, September 10, 2007 2:00 AM
hmmmm.....Ok, is it possible that I can restore only one table from my MS SQL backup file to some other temp db? Which will help me to get the required value from that table.
Post #397143
Posted Friday, September 7, 2007 3:39 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:45 AM

Kedar,

there is no sql native command to restore just one table or any other object from a SQL full backup, so what you require is not possible............unless anyone out there knows a third party tool that can do it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #397178
Posted Friday, September 7, 2007 4:35 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Monday, October 27, 2014 3:43 AM

BMC offers a backup solution which supports object-level restore. Can't say I have any real world experience with it, but I tested it some time ago and it looked fine.

But it's not an option for the current situation here, since the object-level restore works not for backups taken with the standard SQL backup.

If anyones interested look here:
http://www.bmc.com/products/proddocview/0,2832,19052_19429_70025639_147752,00.html 

Markus

Markus Bohse
Post #397190
Posted Friday, September 7, 2007 5:17 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 26, 2012 5:26 AM
Have a look at Red Gate's SQL Data Compare 6 (alpha). While it says it is an alpha version, it is very stable. It can read backup files, and show its contents.

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=5377

Disclaimer: I work for RG.

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
GoldenGate Software
Post #397200
Posted Friday, September 7, 2007 5:51 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2008 8:14 AM

Idera's SQLsafe backup software now has a version 4.5 that enables recovery of individual tables. I am currently on 4.0, just haven't had the time to upgrade, but wanted to make you aware of it.

Joe
Post #397209
Posted Friday, September 7, 2007 11:48 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:45 AM

Kedar,

Although there isn't a native SQL Server object restore, you can restore a database backup to a new database using the 'WITH MOVE' option of the RESTORE DATABASE command.  Then, you can copy the table back into the original database.

Greg

Greg
Post #397379
Posted Sunday, July 7, 2013 10:45 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, July 7, 2013 11:10 PM
This is only possible by using some specialized tool. Read more here
Post #1471034
Posted Monday, July 8, 2013 1:04 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:45 AM
note: 6 year old thread

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1471057
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse