Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Background Images in Reporting Services Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 8:46 AM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/3184.asp

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #390372
Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2007 12:58 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:20 PM

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the article - a great summary.

I have been working with a number of these options recently. A particularly useful feature is being able to set the background image based on some criteria in the data using an expression.  Something like a big red "DRAFT" watermark can be quite nice in certain circumstances.

One question: in SSRS 2000 SP2 we keep on getting situations where images are not displayed in the report (whether populated from the database, or an embedded image) - we simply get that irritating little red X in place of the image.  This appears to happen when deployed to certain servers, but not on others.  Any security issues or other pointers to solving this issue?

Rgds,

Post #395975
Posted Tuesday, September 4, 2007 6:09 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

I dont have a SQL2K instance installed anymore to experiment on, but my guess would be that it's a path problem more than a security problem, but it depends on how you stored your image. I'd try taking a report that works correctly and deploy to a different server to see what happens. Not a lot of help I know!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #396043
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 11:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:34 AM

Andy,

I developed a report with an IIF(PARAMETER.bla="DRAFT","draft","final") for the background.

Where draft and final are embeded images. In Visual Studio it works fantastic!, but when I upload neither image appears. I tried the same with external and used the actual file names and after uploading the image files I got the same results. In both instances it works fine in Visual Studio. Once uploaded, BEEP!

Any Ideas?

Cheers...Del

Post #397025
Posted Thursday, September 6, 2007 8:28 PM
SSCertifiable

It should work I added a report to a project, then added two images as well. Source=external, value==IIF(Parameters!SetBack.Value="DRAFT","e2ead2.png","e2ead1.png"). Report worked fine in IDE or deployed. I would start by making sure both images got uploaded to the same folder as the report and that you can see them.

Note that while it doesnt apply to your issue, the parameter value will be case sensitive, so entering Draft, draft, or any other value other than upper case DRAFT will cause it to match to the else clause. Can be fixed by just coercing the input value to uppercase in the comparison.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #397120
Posted Friday, September 7, 2007 6:07 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:34 AM

Andy,

First off, thanks for taking a look! After a long day... I discoverd that the background was actually showing up, below my screen and fixed in place. In otherwords when I collaped my parameter selection portion of the report, up popped the word DRAFT.... And it stayed in the same place as I scrolled through the page. Strange behavior. When I exported it to a PDF file it appears on the first page... So I think I'm on the right track now. Now I've got to see if I can get it to appear on all of the pages of the PDF.

Again, Thanks, at the end of the day I enjoy working with SQL reporting much more than I did with Crystal.

Post #397215
Posted Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:53 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:48 AM
Nice Article , But i have one problem here, I am embeded the image in the background of the report, But i want it in the center of the report. How Could i do this ?? I tryed a lots but didnt get.
Post #414060
Posted Monday, January 28, 2008 11:11 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:54 AM
I m having 1 doubt.I have to Put a water Mark logo in the body section of report. But that logo is conditional. In 1 condition it will be displayed or else it will be invisible . How to handle this IFF and where?
Plz help ....
Post #448684
Posted Monday, January 28, 2008 11:27 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:54 AM
In continuation tp my previous post . I tried to put
IIF(Fields!fk_Order_Status.value.indexof("PENDING_SHIPMENT")<>-1,"WaterMark"," Flower")

where WaterMark n Flower are my embedded images.
I wanna show Watermark in 1 condition n Flower in other.
But it is not wrking fine. Giving build errors. that Backgrung image is wrong.
Plz help it's urgent.....
Post #448692
Posted Friday, April 11, 2008 5:38 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, May 31, 2014 6:56 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the article. Here's my question. I need to print a 2 page form as a report. How do I add 2 images as page 1 and page 2?
Thanks.
Post #484008
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse