Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Question of the Day for 21 Jun 2007 Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the Question of the Day for 21 Jun 2007 posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/testcenter/qod.asp?QuestionID=1059.
Post #368149
Posted Friday, April 29, 2011 4:30 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:11 AM
Nice question. I'm not too impressed with the answer though. I got it "right" because I picked the answer closest to correct, but it's not actually correct. There are things I need to do to make replication work with a mirror. First, I need to set up distribution for the mirror, so call sp_adddistpublisher at the publisher (to add the mirror as a publisher) and then call sp_adddistributor at the mirrer (to point at the shared distributor). Then I need to tell all the agents that connect to the publisher about the mirror, by setting the -PublisherFailOverPartner agent parameter for each agent, and restarting them. Assuming this is transactional replication without update this has to be done for the log reader agent and the snapshot agent. If it's some other kind of replication I will also need to do this for one or more of the Queue Reader Agent and various sorts of merge agent (I would have to consult BoL to determine which). That's a far cry from "you don't need to do anything, it's handled automatically"; of course once I've done those things, fail over will be handled automatically for me.

Tom
Post #1100788
Posted Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:45 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:57 AM
I almost picked the "correct" answer but then thought that there are a number of steps and commands that need to be executed on the mirror before replication could work. I would agree with Tom that the "correct" answer was not actually the right answer. Thanks for the question anyway.
Post #1527274
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse