Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Templates in Management Studio Expand / Collapse
Author

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:03 AM

My company had finally made the decision to move to SQL Server 2005.  As a first step, I just installed it on my desk top last week.

In Query Analyzer, I had a bunch of templates that I was able to quickly open and execute from the Object Explorer pane.  These were common tasks that I performed and I used them often.

In trying to set up the same using Management Studio, but have run into some problems.  First, there doesn't seem to be a way to add a bunch of templates to an object browser.  In SS2K, I just had a folder and all templates in the folder appeared in the browser tree.

Second, Management Studio won't execute a .tql file.  I have to copy and paste the contents from one of the templates into a new query window.  What a pain.

Does anyone have some good ideas on how to accomplish this similar to the way I was doing it in Query Analyzer?

Regards,

Scott

Post #352916
Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:04 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 5:31 AM

CTRL+ ALT+T brings up the Template explorer window. There you can add your own templates.

Markus

Markus Bohse
Post #352976
Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:33 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Markus-

Thanks for the short cut, I did discover the template explorer, but still haven't figured out where the files are physically stored so that I can just copy them all over.

Scott

Post #352993
Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:45 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Tuesday, December 9, 2014 5:31 AM

The files are stored in Program files\MS Sql Server\90\tools\binn\VSshell\common\ide\sqlworkbenchprojectitems\sql

If you add the files directly to this location, you need to restart SSMS before they are visible. And yes, the extension .tql is no longer used.

Markus

Markus Bohse
Post #352999
Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:53 AM

Hall of Fame

Thanks again. 

That file path does not resemble the old one much at all. 

Scott

Post #353005
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse