Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

SQL Server 2005 Books Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:08 PM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/2919.asp

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #350944
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:27 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, September 20, 2014 10:29 AM

Thanks for the reviews! 

"I know book reviews aren't the most exciting reading, . . ."  Perhaps not, but when you're attempting to purchase books and haven't a real clue as to what is good and what is not, it can save people both money and time. 

I would like to see more reviews on good books for certification.

Thanks again!

Post #357439
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:18 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

How did you like the mini-review format rather than the more typical table of contents followed by discussion format?

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #357468
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:54 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, May 21, 2010 11:48 AM

I personally like the mini-review format as I don't always have the time it would take to read a full review.

If possible or if it makes sense for your "content purpose", I would like know about books that focus more on Administration than Development as my job is based on implementation and support rather than Dev.

Thanks

Post #357492
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:36 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, October 17, 2014 2:03 PM

I see, most of us are stuck on Barnes and Noble or Amazon.

Bookfinder.com gives us better deals from several vendors for older books like SQL 2000.

bookpool.com is by and large at least 20% cheaper than BN or Amazon.

No, and I don't have shares of bookpool.com

Post #357508
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2007 10:44 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

I liked the mini-review format.
Post #357582
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:16 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:53 PM
Hello Andy,

Yes, the mini-review format is useful. Frankly, I am happy to see any discussion of SQL books.

Something I have noticed is that SQL books are extremely expensive on average. Most cost 30-40 dollars (US) and some go as high as $60. So any advice on what each book offers from someone who's trying to be as objective as possible can only help us.

Having said that, I think this book has been useful to me as someone who has recently become a DBA and who is learning SQL 2005 after years of SQL 2000:

SQL Server 2005 DBA Street Smarts
Joseph L. Jorden

SQL Server 2005 DBA Street Smarts - Amazon link

It covers a lot of the main features of SQL 2005 and has a step-by-step format that I found very helpful for someone new to SQL 2005. In fact, the step-by-step format used should be applied to other books, in my opinion. The exercises are well organized with the scenario, scope of the task, procedure steps, and criteria for completion neatly laid out.

I'd be interested in your opinion of the book if you have not posted it already.

Thanks!

---
webrunner

-------------------
"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Post #357659
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:33 PM
SSCertifiable

I haven't read it, but will order it. I've got a couple queued ahead of it, but I should get there in the next couple months.

Im ok with books in the $30-$40 range, $60 is a bit high for books that arent on something that is really a long term keeper. Nothing wrong with Bookpool or any other place where you can stretch your dollars. I use Amazon because the prices are ok and they often have used books - and I have the Prime membership that covers shipping. I love used books!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Follow me on Twitter
Post #357662
Posted Wednesday, April 11, 2007 6:24 PM
Valued Member

Thanks, webrunner.  I ordered the book. 

I have been trudging through Microsoft's Self-Paced Training book, because I didn't know what else to try.  I hate their books, although this one isn't as bad as some Microsoft messes I've suffered through. 

Post #357693
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:58 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Sunday, May 4, 2014 10:21 PM
  • Not a new lesson, but  as I was working through a couple of the early chapters I remembered how much I hate portions of SSIS. Paths have to be escaped (C:\\blah\\etc), equal is ==, and in some places you address variables by ordinal position! End of rant

• Yeah but isn't this only if you are using the old OLE DB style?   I believe the new .NET connector classes did away with this and facilitated direct reference by columnID.  I have to double check to be sure...  Brian Knight if you are reading this, can you chime in?

Post #358035
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse