Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

handling row length in SSIS Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 1, 2007 6:00 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:50 AM
I have created a SSIS package in BIDS for loading data from text file. I have bad rows where the last column is absent, and I need to reject those. The rows supposedly should have fixed length, and the way to solve this, as I see it, is to redirect rows to good/bad  destinations based on row length.<script></script>
I see nothing in BIDS data flow components expressions or system variables handling row lenth. So come a Script task. I saw the Row object in samples of VB.Net scipts, and it has size property, which may be a solution.
Can you help with a sample of routine doing that? Also, is there any web site with a good reference to all VB.Net classes, their methods and properties?

Thanks in advnce
Vladimir Kievsky
Post #341606
Posted Friday, February 2, 2007 7:35 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:47 PM

One way to do this is a script task. In the script, you'll have something like this:

Public Overrides Sub ProcessInputRow(ByVal Row as rowInBuffer)

In that function, you can use this to get or test row length:

Row.FullRow.Length

Hope this helps.

Bill

Post #342029
Posted Saturday, February 3, 2007 10:52 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:50 AM

Thanks. I was able to go by using RaggedRight. Still, it was tricky: I needed to set row delimiter, it is a property without value by default.

Post #342295
Posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:08 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:25 AM
Have considered using Len function in ssis ? Just curious .
Post #1476357
Posted Monday, July 29, 2013 3:22 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 1:50 AM
Bill McDonough (2/2/2007)

One way to do this is a script task. In the script, you'll have something like this:

PublicOverrides Sub ProcessInputRow(ByVal Row as rowInBuffer)

In that function, you can usethis toget or test row length:

Row.FullRow.Length

Hope this helps.

Bill

You are referring to a Script Component. Script Tasks are valid only in control flows.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1478493
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse