Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Our Very Own SQL Server Data Compression Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, November 21, 2006 9:15 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:57 AM
Comments posted here are about the content posted at temp

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #324803
Posted Thursday, November 23, 2006 6:37 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:55 AM

Nice little technique. 

Reminds me of when I realised the power of of using

(col = @arg OR Len(@arg) = 0)

for only using passed values in joins when needed without cumbersom if-else statements or dynamic sql.

Post #325160
Posted Thursday, November 23, 2006 7:10 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 10:44 AM
Nice article Steve.  Just out of curiosity, how many e-mails do you currently send monthly?
Post #325172
Posted Thursday, November 23, 2006 9:58 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

North of 4million

Post #325229
Posted Thursday, November 23, 2006 12:23 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 1:58 PM
I'm sort of surprised you didn't go one step further and make the MessageFrom, To, and Subject be IDs out to a separate table.  There has got to be a LOT of redundancy there.
Post #325249
Posted Friday, November 24, 2006 8:36 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Subjects maybe, but the others aren't necessarily worth the join effort. From/to come from a table with lots of data as well. And this way the system can be easily split out to another database/server for scale reasons.

Plus we trim about every 7 days

Post #325359
Posted Saturday, November 25, 2006 8:16 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 9:16 AM
I think at some point we'll incorporate subject, mainly because it will make producing things like newsletters easier. It's hard to know how far to take something, so far the simplicity of just appending the from/to/subject has worked for us. If we outgrow that, we'll change it! Nice to own your own code for stuff like that. Our solution is a deliberate attempt to build the simplest solution that would work for us, compared to what I consider the overkill of Notification Services. We just don't need all right now.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #325445
Posted Monday, November 27, 2006 6:54 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:34 PM

A captivating hands-on how-to article.  Although I do not have a current need for such a large scale email system, I would not have thought that SQL Server would be a possible solution.  I think it is a very innovative use.  Thank you for jolting my cerebal cortex.  Now, when the need comes up, I will KNOW it can be done and KNOW how to do it.

This type of article and content is the exact reason why I subscribe to sqlservercentral. 

Post #325616
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse