Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

The log for database "databasename" is not available. Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, November 15, 2010 4:06 PM
"The log for database MYDB is not avaiable" .. when writing an UPDATE statement to a table.

We first observed this problem today in a database but I found out that in addition we have had an error in the application log

"Backup Request: WaitForIOCompletion: Write failure on backup device "Y:\MyDB_Log.ld.
Operating Syste Rror 1117: The request could not be perfoirmed because of an IO error".

I can perfectly see the LUN where the transaction log is and I can get to that folder an d connect to the database to do SELECTS or even see the properties from Enterprise Manager, but we cannot do anything that involves the transaction log.

Post #302480
Posted Friday, August 18, 2006 1:56 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 4:43 AM

Hi,

It sure sounds like there is a potential problem with the hardware.  Just because you can see the lun and get to the folder doesn't mean there's a problem.  There could be a write problem that isn't affecting reads for example.

Check the SQL Server error log.  If you see any 823 errors refer to the following articles.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=828339

and

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826433/

I'd always get the hardware vendor to check for hardware failures.  The fact that the error message indicates that there is an IO error indicates that this is where the problem most likely lies.

Good luck.

Karl
source control for SQL Server
Post #302512
Posted Friday, June 29, 2007 9:34 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, June 29, 2007 9:34 AM
I had the "The Log for Database 'X' is not available" error as well. I detached and reattached the database, and problem solved.
Post #377874
Posted Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:44 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:45 AM
Same problem here. Reattaching worked for me, thanks.
Post #1440957
Posted Monday, July 1, 2013 9:04 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 3:03 PM
I could not detach as it gave the same error, but I took it offline and then back online and it was working fine.

Ed Watson aka SQLGator
MCTS SQL Server 2008

Follow me on Twitter!
Tampa Bay SQL Users Group
Go Gators!
Post #1469105
Posted Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:03 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:53 PM
I ran into this issue today and confirmed that the detach/reattach or offline/online switch works for current SQL versions as well (SQL 2008 R2 in this case).
Post #1552232
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse