Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Hiring A DBA Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:39 AM

I left my first job after two years because I felt I was not going anywhere and there was nothing to learn.  I was given all the simple task to do.  For every project, the project leader would have meeting with the senior staffs and figure out what kind of tasks. They excluded me in every meeting.  I was just given the task written on a piece of paper.

The average number of years I stayed in a job was two years. One job I stayed for five years, I loved the job and I thought that would stay there.  Unfortunately they changed the vice president, after six months, 10% of the staffs were resigned (including me), one guy worked there for 19 years resigned, it told you how bad it was.

Another job I stayed for 8 months. It was one of a division of a fortunate 500 company.  They told me the division was solid.  After six months, the company announced to sell off that division, if no one bought it, they would close it down.  I immediately found another job.

Things changed so fast these days.  Even you want to stay in a company, maybe the company does not want you.  The other company I worked for decided to outsource the IT department to India. 

If you are still young and only work for IT for two years, I would think about switching career !!!

Post #375105
Posted Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:47 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:39 AM

BTW, we hired a guy whose resume was wonderful and he had over 10 years experiences.  When he came to interview, he talked liked he knew what he was doing.  Of course I did not ask him any technical questions because he had over 10 years of experiences. (my big mistake).  It turned out he was a flop.

He said he was a DBA, designing database, installing database, tuning database.  The server ran out of space and he did not even know what to do.

He also said he was a developer writing all kind of procedures. His procedure was a joke.  He had two cursors in one procedures which ran hours.  He said there was the only way to create a table with parent/child relationship.  I wrote a select statement to create a table with parent/child relationship and ran for seconds.  The problem was he made all kind of excuse when his procedures failed.  He kept saying he did not understand the business.  The job was too stressful and he just had a new baby.

Post #375107
Posted Wednesday, June 20, 2007 12:10 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, April 10, 2009 12:04 PM
Well, I'm afraid I am not at all impressed with this article ... just one more example of the painting by numbers crowd who will never really get it.
There is actually only one question you ever need to ask a DBA and like the saying goes, if you have to ask .....
And I'm afraid that if anyone tried that AWE nonsense on me ... my starting salary just doubled
Post #375160
Posted Friday, October 12, 2007 2:29 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:58 AM
roger clarke (6/20/2007)
Well, I'm afraid I am not at all impressed with this article ... just one more example of the painting by numbers crowd who will never really get it.
There is actually only one question you ever need to ask a DBA and like the saying goes, if you have to ask .....
And I'm afraid that if anyone tried that AWE nonsense on me ... my starting salary just doubled

Say that again but slower? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Actually, the point I wanted to make is about the job posting. If you advertise for a "Sequal Data Base Administrator" (sic) then I'm not going to take you seriously. Get someone with a good grasp of written English (or whatever langauage you post it in) to check it. Also, if you ask for 5 to 10 years of experience in just about everything but only specify an average salary then how am I supposed to know whether you're going to revise the quality of the candidate you're after or the salary you offer? Something will have to budge - I've seen job postings like that repeated for months on end!

John
Post #409866
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse