Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

The Challenge: Litespeed v TDPSQL Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:58 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/dbird/thechallengelitespeedvtdpsql.asp

David Bird

My PC Quick Reference Guide
Post #260418
Posted Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:11 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:08 AM

One slight error concerning Litespeed, there is a ( free ) utility which allows you to restore a litespeed backup on a a non litespeed server.

If you forget the GUI , I never make use of the gui for handling production backups anyway, and use the extended procs with scripts/procs then Litespeed is a dream to use.

The reality is that Litespeed does live up to the hype - a well recommended product - I wouldn't leave home without it

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #268864
Posted Tuesday, March 28, 2006 3:26 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:31 AM

I used TSM at the last place, V5.2 I think, and I never could get the Admin boys round to setting up Transaction Log backups going.   

I also found the GUI unreliable, so much so I wrote my own in Excel!  If you are interested, you down load it here:

<shameless plug>http://glossopian.co.uk/pmwiki.php?n=Main.SQLTSMRestores</shameless plug>

Dave J

http://glossopian.co.uk/
"I don't know what I don't know."
Post #268887
Posted Tuesday, March 28, 2006 5:53 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 6:27 AM

At the time I tested Litespeed it had (or has) a Native Command Substitution that loads as a service and capture native SQL maintenance plans as they execute re-routing them through the Litespeed engine.

When we added up the compression (savings in disk space and tape), speed and NCS (with any other product we would have been faced with changing over 10,000 maintenance plans), it became a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, the company (a major play in the IT industry) was going through cost cutting and reorganization  again so we never got approval to purchase Litespeed.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

Post #268912
Posted Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:28 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 2:25 PM

It would have been nice to have added a pro and con for the native backup using SQL Server tools for your environment.

I was also left wondering why you didn't consider using network attached storage instead of the SAN for the backup files.

Thanks for an informative review.

Post #268917
Posted Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:57 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 27, 2007 8:19 AM
I'm wondering what about BMC SQL-Backtrack. I'm not a litespeed user but, I have looked at the product in the past. I have used TDP but, our shop uses SQL-Backtrack which I believe is a much older product than LiteSpeed and works with many different media managers. BMC also has a fully integrated product suite that covers Oracle/DB2 and Informix(I know but, I was listing) as well with integrated backup console. I think the auther shorted himself by not reviewing this product as well.

Post #268932
Posted Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:36 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:32 PM
I'm surprised that your LiteSpeed backups and restores took longer than native.   We have seen better much performance with LiteSpeed.

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #268992
Posted Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:40 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:09 PM
I agree. Our LiteSpeed backups are much faster than the native backups.

Post #268998
Posted Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:16 PM
What about Red-Gate/ is that backup product competitive?

Post #269000
Posted Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:48 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:32 PM
I reviewed it about a year ago: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/kKellenberger/sqlbackup30.asp .  I thought it performed well. 

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #269007
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse