Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Are Your Database Backups Current and Available? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:35 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:50 AM

This was designed to be distributed, so yes you would have to push this out to each of your servers.

It could be modified to run from a central location, as well as to generate only one email report each morning. But for something like this my preference is to have it reside on each server, and generate separate emails. I guess I prefer to have an email from each server in my inbox, so that i don't lose track of something during the day.

We have some reports that are centrally located, and some that are distributed. Perhaps for my next article I will include something that is done centrally instead.

----------------------
http://thomaslarock.com
Post #267714
Posted Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:38 PM

SSCrazy

In SS2K5 they have truned it off by default. You can turn it back on rather easily, and lock it down to specific users as well.

I know, it is not the preferred method, and I am looking to figure out a way to do this using SQLCMD in the future. If I get the time to put it all together, I'll put together another article as well.

----------------------
Post #267716
Posted Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:17 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 11:40 AM

Voxinforma:

I use a script to automatically find the lastest full backup, copy the file to a different server and restore the database.  I am using LiteSpeed, so I would need to create another script for native restores to post it for those interested.

Great job, Tom!!!

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #268005
Posted Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:27 AM

SSCrazy

Thanks Kathi!

As for your script, why not pass a parameter (say, @use_native = 'Y'), and have the code issue a native backup command, otherwise you would call the litespeed xp proc.

We use litespeed here as well, but we often have a need to ship a native backup to a vendor, so we ended up adding a parameter to our procs to handle the different dumps.

----------------------
Post #268013
Posted Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:30 AM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 11:40 AM

That's a good idea.   I'll think about doing that.  Thought, I might want to write an article about how to get started writing your own scripts and include it as part of the article.

Aunt Kathi
Microsoft
(Former SQL Server MVP)
Post #268017
Posted Saturday, May 6, 2006 8:32 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, May 10, 2010 11:23 PM

Dear Thomas you'r method is very technical and beutifull.I am waiting to hear further subjects from you

Post #278159
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse