Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Can''t open table with SSMS Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 1, 2006 9:54 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, June 30, 2014 2:55 PM

When you right-click on a table it gives you the option to "open table" but it gives me an error, "Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (SQLEditors)" 

Do I have something setup wrong?

Post #254992
Posted Monday, February 6, 2006 8:00 AM
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
No one has responded to this topic yet. Even if you don't have a complete answer, the original poster will appreciate any thoughts you have!
Post #255987
Posted Monday, February 6, 2006 11:58 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

It appears that I am unable to perform this option running SSMS remotely, but using SSMS on the server works fine.  Is this a limitation of SSMS or just a security issue?
Post #256114
Posted Tuesday, February 14, 2006 3:09 PM
SSC Rookie

I removed then re-install SSMS and now it works perfectly.

Post #258412
Posted Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:43 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 11:43 AM
Ooh, that's cheating! Now we'll never know what the problem was
Post #258586
Posted Wednesday, July 5, 2006 1:55 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, October 23, 2009 4:57 AM
I am having the same problems, but in my case it all seems related to registry access.
I wasn't the one who setup SQL Server 2005, that may be part of it. I am, through group permissions, a local admin on the (virtual) machine. The error I see, when simply starting the "Management Studio" is:
"System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell' is denied.
...(and a whole bunch of other message info...).

I was able to run regedit, find the user tree that did install it, I exported the entire MS SQL Server branch out to a file, edited the file, and changed the specific "user" reference to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" and tried to merge it, but again, access was denied. So it seems that my problems are related to the registry and access to it, or not in this case. Maybe I should try a different login...
Post #292332
Posted Friday, October 27, 2006 11:40 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:38 AM

I am having somewhat of the same problem, the error I get is <Access to the registry key 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Shell' is denied>.  I am in the local admin group, however, I did not install SQL Server 2005 on this server, nor did I configure the server.  Were you able to get your's resolved?

Thanks

Roy

Post #318802
Posted Thursday, November 2, 2006 12:24 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, October 23, 2009 4:57 AM
Sorry all, I've been away from this issue for so long, that I can't remember anything about it as far as whether I resolved the issue I was having or not, although I may be revisiting it again shortly.
Post #320062
Posted Tuesday, November 13, 2007 4:46 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:58 AM
If you find out how this was resolved, please post it. I have been working on this issue for 2 days.
Regards...php
Post #421839
Posted Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:02 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, June 28, 2013 8:25 AM
This should be a problem with the client tools installation. also check for the registry permissions in the client machine.

Cheers,
Sugeshkumar Rajendran
SQL Server MVP
http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com
Post #421905
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse