Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Introduction to SQLCMD Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, January 18, 2013 11:03 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/hji/introductiontosqlcmd.asp

Post #247717
Posted Wednesday, January 11, 2006 10:26 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 10:45 AM

I liked the article pace, some of us never got the command line experience...
Keep them coming!

Post #249989
Posted Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:00 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 12:21 AM

Alex,

Your presentation today at SSWUG on SQLCMD was very interesting and informative. Now this article of yours makes sense to me. I am basically a GUI person, but I can see the power of command line. I hope to read more of your articles at SQLServerCentral and your presentation at SSWUG meetings.

Regards,

Ameena

Post #250491
Posted Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:37 AM
Valued Member

Last Login: Friday, January 18, 2013 11:03 AM
Thanks Ameena for your kind words. I am glad you liked the material

Yes, I will try to present more at our user group meetings, if possible.

Haidong "Alex" Ji
http://www.HaidongJi.com

Post #250822
Posted Thursday, January 11, 2007 5:38 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, November 01, 2013 8:16 AM

Thanks for the article!  I'm with others here in that it was nice to see something about the command line tools.  The article was well written and made me feel quickly at ease with SQLCMD.

Thanks!
Rhonda

Post #336121
Posted Thursday, January 11, 2007 7:36 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, August 27, 2010 8:29 AM

Very helpful. Thanks. I try to change default editor and it won't take.  It's still SQLCMDEDITOR = "edit.com" and open the previous editor. Any clue.  Thanks again.

Post #336155
Posted Friday, January 12, 2007 12:08 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, March 03, 2014 12:01 PM
I liked the articale very much. However, ed through command line does nothing. I changed SQLCMDEDITOR to "notepad.exe" it didn't work as well. Any clue. Thanks.

Boris
Post #336583
Posted Wednesday, January 24, 2007 3:59 PM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, January 14, 2013 4:24 AM

Thank you for posting this article, Haidong Ji. The "ed" thing is also there in Oracle sqlplus.

Boris. I typed exactly as Haidong suggested and it worked: set sqlcmdeditor = notepad (with set, without the .exe). After I entered sqlcmd, I typed a select statement then I typed ed and notepad popped up. I saved and exit and the statements I typed in notepad are displayed on sqlcmd. It is really handy.

Regards, Vincent

Post #339531
Posted Thursday, January 25, 2007 9:56 AM
SSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, March 03, 2014 12:01 PM

Thank you Vincent. I typed ed right after I entered sqlcmd, and got nothing. Now if I type any statement and then type ed notepad popped up with statement.

Thanks again,

Boris
Post #339827
Posted Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:02 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, January 09, 2014 11:25 AM
thank you! a great article!

is there a forum for sqlcmd issues?
Post #449475
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse