Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

How do you spell S-Q-L? Expand / Collapse
Author

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:13 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sMcCown/howdoyouspellsql.asp

Watch my free SQL Server Tutorials at:
http://MidnightDBA.ITBookworm.com

Read my book reviews at:
www.ITBookworm.com

Blog Author of:
Database Underground -- http://www.infoworld.com/blogs/sean-mccown
DBA Rant – http://dbarant.blogspot.com
Post #208834
Posted Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:37 PM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Saturday, January 22, 2011 12:01 PM

Q: What’s the different between char() and varchar()?

A: char() only holds letters while varchar() holds letters and numbers.

Experience: This DBA has 8yrs.

If I hear such answer even from a person with 1 year of Exp I do not even ask the second question. Infact I even do not ask such question beacuse I assume whoever is applying for a DBA position should know the answer.

The best part will be if he is looking for a Senior Position with a salary of 100K+

Anyways I know a company who is looking for a Senior DBA (Contract to Hire) in Sacramento. If anyone is interested please email me your resume at amitlohia@hotmail.com lastest by Aug 25 2005. No H1B and third pary

Note: I will forward your resume and you will hear from the company directly. I have nothing to do with hiring process. I am sure they will have a technical interview

Amit

Kindest Regards,

Amit Lohia
Post #211370
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005 1:27 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 18, 2005 1:24 AM
My 'dummy' question - "What is a clustered index?"

DBA for 8 years -> "Alot of indexes working together"

ROTFLMAO
Post #211386
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005 1:52 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 1:49 AM
Crikey !!!

I am by no means an expert/guru, mind you I don't like those words - we all have something to learn. But my God - this is basic stuff. Is this a common experience of interviewing for DBA's?

I know your probably frustrated but thanks for the ego boost
Post #211392
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005 2:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, September 15, 2005 4:07 AM

Hi,

I'm actually going to an interview today with one of the larger city banks and I'd like to give you my take on the receiving end of the interview game.

Yes I do agree that people who claim to have years of experience should know the fundamentals but is that really how we measure a resource. I’m no DBA but I do have a good idea of the difference between a char and a varchar but I couldn’t give you a text book answer of the top of my head. In fact, in many an interview I’ve made that school boy error of over selling myself and then having to guess at an answer hoping you know just abit more than the guy asking the question.

I know its wrong but being put under pressure that your not accustomed to sometimes causes us to do stuff we wouldn’t in a normal work environment. We are human and do get things wrong.

I really think IT interviews do need to look closer at more social aspects like the ability to own issues and work in a less than ideal environment. Coincidentally, in my experience of interviewing I’ve often found that people that come across as not totally confident and don’t have all the answers often do better. They are just people that have the right team fit and show a willingness to learn. I’ve always believed you can learn and teach technical skills but it’s much more complicated changing personalities and attitudes.

Thanks,

Chris.

Post #211399
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:01 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:36 PM
I was tutting at all the responses you got but then got very worried at the end when you talked about not knowing what SEM was used for. For a moment I thought I must be one of the people you were complaining about, until a quick Google told me what SEM stood for. I'd just never come across that particular abbreviation before, which I suppose shows how easily you can be thrown, even if you do actually know nwhat you're talking about.

--
Scott Doughty
Post #211402
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:02 AM
Old Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:44 AM
Hmmm, I know the answer to some of those questions! How much does a senior DBA earn in Central London.

Post #211403
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:09 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:52 AM

I work in the city and £50k minimum I would say. A colleague and myself were looking on Jobserve the other day and there were senior SQL DBA jobs offering £100k+. Remarkable!!

-Jamie

P.S. I am not a DBA and I don't earn 50k 

Jamie Thomson
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson
Post #211405
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:25 AM
Old Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 7:44 AM
Just put my Amazon order in for "The DBA's Bluffers Guide"

Post #211408
Posted Thursday, August 18, 2005 3:53 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, September 29, 2008 5:10 AM

Having been both sides of the interview desk, I can see both sides of the argument.

I've had candidates who can give chapter and verse with technical answers learnt out of books but no idea how to operate in the real world.

I've seen people who make stuff up, just as shown here - and that's more scary because they will tell bare-faced lies and don't own up to what thay don't know. Do they even know how ignorant they are?

The best approach I think is to be honest about what you know and don't, and if you don't, but have a better answer than BOL for what you'd do, for me that's worth having. I would never expect someone to have all the answers, and they may know lots that I don't ask about - but I do want them to be responsible about what they would do when faced with something they don't know about.

2 examples from being the interviewee, years ago:

1. Part programming, part electronics job; the question was about RS232 serial interfacing. I didn't know the answer (which pin does what) but truthfully said I could picture the page of the book I would find the answer in. I wouldn't guess, because who would want someone to do that live? At best, you'd waste time and solder. Result: a job offer.

2. VB5 development job; first question about some property of a TreeView control. I'd done a lot of VB GUI work, but not actually used the TreeView - never needed it. But I knew that with the help, MSDN, etc, I could have a good solution up and running fast. Result: no job offer - they thought I was lying about my GUI experience.

Conclusion: ask / answer questions carefully - who really wants a sometimes-honest factoid spouter? You want someone who'll do a good job and react in the right way when they reach the limits of knowledge.

Mind you, if the limit of knowledge is the char vs varchar thing then all hope is lost...

Bill.

Post #211417
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse