Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

DBA Learning Experiences (Oops!) Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 9:56 AM
Interesting. I use msgboxes and debug files in DTS to write out execution to a text file.

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #25653
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2002 11:53 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 9:05 AM
Are you talking about the log files that a DTS package will produce to tell you which task succeed and which fail. If so, I don't like them because the task names used are generic and I don't know of a way (I suspect there is no way) to change them in SQL Server 7.0. If not then what are these debug files? And how do you use msgboxes?

Robert Marda

Robert W. Marda
SQL Programmer
Ipreo
Post #25654
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2002 12:04 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 12:47 PM
Here is a recent oops for all to enjoy. My expense.. have fun.

Upgrading a server to Windows 2000 and SQL Server 2000 and additionally expanding the drive sets for the data and log files.

This was an old install prior to my arriving here (actually I am the first DBA on site and this install was done by non-database staff). So, the default databases were all D: and the newer databases were on E: and Logs on F: The only twist is that the TempDB was moved to E: and F: as space was constrained on D: and TempDB was growing. So, now that the stage is set.....

Knowing that I had good backups, both SQL Dump to disk and BackUp Exec of Dumps and DB (hey, you never know), I decided to blow away the arrays once we did the OS upgrade and then upgrade SQL. Sounds good. OS upgrade flew. No problems. Go to start the SQL Server upgrade from 7.0 SP3 to SQL Server 2000 but, the service won't start. Hmmm. Realizing that I had blown away the TempDB, and also knowing that it will recreate itself when starting the service, I immediately suspected this was most likely the problem as all drives with any aspect of SQL Server were still intact. Verified I could write to the expanded and formatted drives E: and F: and all was o.k. Hmmm again. (Read the end to find out why it would not start.)

Here goes the stupid part. After NOT thinking about this long enough, I figured that something MUST have been corrupted with the SQL install and decided that I would uninstall 7.0, install 2000 fresh and restore the 7.0 master and msdb to the newly installed 2000 installation. Much learned this night!!!

After so happily uninstalling 7.0, installing 2000, verifying everything was working well I decided I would restore the 7.0 master database. Here comes the learning. Interesting to note that you CANNOT restore the 7.0 master database to a 2000 installation. No problem, I have a good script for re-creating accounts. I'll just restore the msdb and get my DTS packages and jobs back right?! Notice confidence was waning now. And of course, come to find out you can't restore an msdb 7.0 onto a 2000 installation either. Gee, good thing I script everything and save all my work.

Well, here comes the kicker. The reason this all went wrong, is that I could not get the old 7.0 install to start and I assumed that it was something with the install being corrupted with the OS upgrade when in actuality it was because of the TempDB not getting recreated BECAUSE I NEGLECTED TO CREATE THE PATH (FOLDERS) TO WHERE THE FILES RESIDED. Much work to get everything back but, much learned also.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker
SQL Tentmaker
“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot
Post #25655
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2002 12:18 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Learning experiences like this are not fun at the time they are happening and I certainly would never go out of my way to create them. However, problems like this (especially those that cause me to loose sleep) I never forget. I remember being at work with our DBA at 1 and 2 AM (both of us have very little experience and we had less a year ago when this occured) we were both in the server room trying to figure out how to get one of our production databases out of suspect mode (which as I recall I caused it to go into suspect mode). After we got it out of suspect mode (or it came out on its own I don't remember which) we restored the previous days version of the database and went home. Unfortunately, I don't remember how we got that database out of suspect mode. Does anyone have a quick way to get a database out of suspect mode?

Robert Marda

Robert W. Marda
SQL Programmer
Ipreo
Post #25656
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2002 3:16 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, May 16, 2011 3:37 AM
I see from the first posted message that in the States you also have companies that have no development or quality environments. I thought that was a UK phenomenon. Certainly make life interesting when a question like "why have all our customers sold their vehicles in the last 15 minutes?" arise.

My learning experience is still continuing. I get like an Octopus on Drugs. No mouse Shift-F6, CTL-B and then an accidental F5 (Query analyser) and Bob's you uncle, whole script is running again.

Andy P

Andy P
Post #25657
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2002 3:39 PM
SSC Eights!

Correct, in my first job as a DBA we only had on SQL Server 7.0 and none of us had experience with it since I moved all our data from MS Access to SQL Server in the first month in my DBA position.

When I first started in my current position we only had a development and production environment. Our testing environment was set up a few weeks later. As I look back now I don't see how we got by with just one database server.

Robert Marda

Robert W. Marda
SQL Programmer
Ipreo
Post #25658
Posted Tuesday, January 8, 2002 4:01 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Actually I use the filesystem object to create a handle to a text file if I have a debug flag set. I store the debug flag, the filename and path in global varaibles. If the flag is set, then I create (and close ) the file. In many places i have a "if debugflag = 1 then write a line in the file".

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #25659
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2002 9:31 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:59 AM
Steve,

Does the ctrl-shift-C work with 7.0 QA? I tried it but it did not comment the text. -JG

-JG
Post #25660
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2002 10:43 AM

SSC-Dedicated

Not sure. I'll get up from my desk and go check. Are you highlighting lines and then doing it?

Steve Jones
steve@dkranch.net

Post #25661
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2002 12:02 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:59 AM
Yes I hightlight the line then perform the shortcut.

-JG
Post #25662
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse