Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

CLR Integration Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:18 PM
Chris,

Definitely an interesting read. I'll look forward to your future articles on the CLR. In the meantime, I was just curious where you came up with that expression to validate an email address. Did you code that yourself, or is there a tool / function that will help you generate the validation expression?

SET @regex = N'^([\w-\.]+)@((\[[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,3}\.)|(([\w-]+\.)+))([a-zA-Z]{2,4}|[0-9]{1,3})(\]?)$'

Jason

Post #200460
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2005 7:50 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:23 PM
I find that the RegEx coach is a useful tool for checking RegEx.

Also try http://www.regexlib.com/

The following evaluates UK dates and takes account of leap years etc.

^(??:31(\/|-|\.)(?:0?[13578]|1[02]))\1|(??:29|30)(\/|-|\.)(?:0?[1,3-9]|1[0-2])\2))(??:1[6-9]|[2-9]\d)?\d{2})$|^(?:29(\/|-|\.)0?2\3(???:1[6-9]|[2-9]\d)?(?:0[48]|[2468][048]|[13579][26])|(??:16|[2468][048]|[3579][26])00))))$|^(?:0?[1-9]|1\d|2[0-8])(\/|-|\.)(??:0?[1-9])|(?:1[0-2]))\4(??:1[6-9]|[2-9]\d)?\d{2})$

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #200472
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2005 7:57 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:03 AM

MY biggest concern is for a potential Database engine performance hit, and will current SQL Server optimum memory requirements be increased - if so, how much?  Also, will SQL Server 2005 install on systems that don't already have the .NET framework installed?

J. Chris Gibson

Post #200484
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:00 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:18 PM
David,

Thanks for the URL! That will save on the typing!

Jason

Post #200488
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:17 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:23 PM
How do I stop smilies appearing in my forum posts?

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #200507
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:51 AM
UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Saturday, February 28, 2009 6:51 AM
Very true, and that is one of the reasons I see why it is important for more or less every DBA to at least have a basic understanding of what CLR Integration is and how it works. The code itself is normally not that difficult to read, so if it is just a rev iew to allow the code in the database most should get by. Writing it is of course more difficult. I think one of the concerns will be just how to look at the code, using Visual Studio (or other tool) etc.

Hopefully we will see developers and DBAs working closer to solve these issues.

--
Chris Hedgate http://www.hedgate.net/
Contributor to the Best of SQL Server Central volumes
Articles: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/chedgate/
Post #200541
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:53 AM
UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Even though I have some understanding of regular expressions, I did not write that one myself. I think I found it at Regular-Expressions.info, a very good resource.

--
Post #200543
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:56 AM
UDP Broadcaster

Well, it installs on systems that do not have the .Net Framework installed already. But then it would be installed by the SQL Server 2005 installation. Note that it is the .Net Framework 2.0 (currently in beta) we are referring to here.

Hopefully I will be exploring performance hits and requirements later, though I anticipate it will be a couple of articles from now.

--
Post #200548
Posted Wednesday, July 13, 2005 1:05 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Sunday, June 22, 2014 6:53 PM

My opinion is that it will be beneficial to have a "procedural language" available to perform functions that TSQL is not as adept at.  That is available today on the client side, obviously, but not quite so close to the data itself.  This will most likely create opportunities to make faster data access available to the other application tiers.

Now, I'm not ready to go all chicken little and claim that C# will ruin my database, because it is not the best tool for getting data in and out of a database *in the general case*.  I don't believe that the presentation tier guys are going to ask for CLR in the database because they are used to having the recordsets handed to them ready-to-go.  What I do see is that I can find a better (faster) way to get them data in very specialized cases and for that I shall be eternally grateful.

We'll see what happens...

jg

Post #200713
Posted Friday, July 15, 2005 4:56 AM

UDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:00 AM

I entirely agree.  In fact, I've just returned from a T-SQL course with Learning Tree and so am very pro T-SQL at the moment.  I think in the interim it'll be a case of finding my (and everybody else's) feet to discover which procedures are going to perform better depending on what language they're written in.

Post #201441
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse