Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

One System to Rule Them All Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:38 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:48 PM
I think that's called picking the right tool for the job, which is something I'm a big proponent of as a whole.

I believe that's what the editorial was espousing. Magic bullets aren't. One size doesn't fit all. Yada, yada, yada...

Example: Many experienced folks find that SSRS isn't what they need even though it comes along with the rest of the SS tools. So they use Tableau. I may end up using ReportLab or D3.js for some clients.

We don't use much of SSIS at remote clients because it's yet another system that is to complex for them to manage. Instead they get custom executable and scheduling.

Post #1602706
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:55 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 9:41 AM
Andrew..Peterson (8/13/2014). And some exec's like the idea of having a single company to call when it breaks.

It is never the exec that makes the call or deals with the fallout. Effective single source is a fantasy that execs are prone to believe.

The Air Force, Navy, any large company wants the single off-the shelf product that will meet all their specific needs - at off-the-shelf prices. No surprise, it suddenly needs add-ons to meet their specific needs that cause complexity and cost overruns. As one poster said, openess and offering proper imports and exports go a long way towards reducing cost.
Post #1602712
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:03 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:25 PM
When I worked at Intel In the mid-90's, we were growing so fast that a universal system couldn't handle the needs of the local groups fast enough. So, we had a lot of "smokestacks", home-grown applications and databases to solve the local need.

That, of course lead to problems with different piles of data being shared and analyzed. Our team was tasked with coming up with shared data models, and translations to them. The hope was to foster the shared usage of data from many different sources. The message was, "roll your own, but use our data definitions".

Unfortunately we saw limited results due to incomplete buy-in of the business units. Then they brought in dozens of SAP "consultants" (many newly minted college grads who had never seen a real world mess), and things got REALLY interesting.

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Post #1602715
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:52 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:52 PM
I'm not a firm believer of one system to rule them all. But, I can see the attraction from a business standpoint.

If there was a single piece of software or solution that handled all my needs, then yes, it's the best option. Having used Outlook for some time, I would really hate having to use 2 separate programs for my email and calendar or better yet, a 3 program for task management if I actually used Outlooks tasks. I instead, would love to have all those features in one solution that's accessible together.

That means I only need to likely hire one person at the very least versus 2 hires to support both solutions.

When you get into solutions that are a rainbow of different technologies and solutions integrated into a unified solution, then you have what many of you guys run into today. Businesses requiring those one hire to rule them all. The one guy who not only is a DBA, but also a back-end developer and front-end developer who speaks 5 different languages.
Post #1602734
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:05 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:27 PM
I work as a DBA/support/setup/and too many things to mention for a 3rd party software vendor. We've witnessed a number of our clients leave in search of that "magic bullet" software bundle that does everything and does them all well "out of the box". And many, though not all, come back to us complaining that the software did do a lot, but lacked in many areas.

In response, we've tried to stay focused on a specific goal and be the best we can be in that area. Certainly it costs us some sales, but we feel in the end it's worth the sacrifice for our current and future clients. Time will tell if we've made the right choice.
Post #1602747
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:40 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:14 PM
Using the MS SQL Server, MS Office, and MS VisualStudio stack, you can build practically any IT solution, and it integrates well. Often times the tools will integrate, but the missing link is the limited skillset of the developers themseleves.
Post #1602776
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:40 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, September 29, 2014 10:46 AM
Funny thing is for some view points MS SQL Server is a "rule them all" system.

(and let's not forgot that good tools integrated to it like red gate)

The fact is a monolithic system ill not adehere to all different business rules from all different companies even if we are considering a small market subset.
That companies are different, work in a different way, got different process, mothods, budgets, etc
Even considering a single company the scenario changes when the company evolves year after year.

In that way I agree with the customized solution tailored for that company (in that point in time).

Off course there are good generic solutions for good generic problems.
And yes sometimes no ones wants the burden to build and maintain a dashboard application with good reasons
Post #1602777
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 11:52 AM
I think a lot of focus has been placed on the software/solution/product/magic bullet here and not enough on the teams architecting requirements and architecting a solution. I find a lot of clients want the "off the shelf system that meets all my current requirements exactly as I see them" and in a lot of cases that means something that does what they had made their previous systems do. This leads to a lot of complexity and no one on the customer's side wants to take a step back and ask if those requirements truly are necessary.

Then if they are necessary do they need to be met exactly the way originally defined - I've had to build the "easy" button that does 4 things at once because it was too difficult for them to make someone push 4 buttons. If the client could tolerate their users using their brains and doing a small bit of work (or maybe following a process) than the system could be less complicated, require less development and be easier to maintain. Basically clients that can tolerate small tweaks to requirements or processes so as to make the actual solution less technically complicated or simpler get better results.

However as this was for large bureaucratic organization I would suspect (based on my experiences) that there were a lot of requirements that got very detailed, very complicated, just so people could cover their ***, but bloated the complexity. If those dictating the requirements can't see they're shooting themselves in the foot like that, and their consultants don't help them to pull back...well they were probably going to go over budget or have problems even before things got started.
Post #1602785
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:48 AM

SSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:14 PM
I'm not saying that the Microsoft development stack should be used for building the Air Force's mission critical systems (ie: deployed in the field in Iraq). A strong an compelling argument for open source development tools can be made in this situation, even if the tools require additional man hours and skillsets to integrate.

However, if what they're looking for is an application and database to crunch accounting numbers and a BI solution to display pretty charts and reports for Congress, then nothing beats Microsoft.
Post #1602786
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:57 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 6:56 AM
Love how this is blamed on the Air Force instead of Oracle. We did a Y2K project with Oracle for a small company relative to this project,
and had the identical experience. I then spent 3 years working for a 3rd party provider that made their living providing reporting solutions to Oracle customers that couldn't get their reporting needs met 'out-of-the-box', as they were told. I went to work for them off of my own experience with Oracle. The most oversold, over-represented software out there. The money that has rolled into their coffers for no value delivered, it boggles the mind.
Post #1602794
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse