Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

will cluster failover if the nodes are on different service pack levels? Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:34 PM
Hi,

Since I don't have a testing environment, I am seeking help on this.
In a 2-node SQL Cluster, if Node-1 is on SQL 2008 SP3 and Node-2 is running on SP1 will instance gets failover irrepective of service pack level?

Thank you.
Post #1602236
Posted Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:22 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:21 AM
vsamantha35 (8/12/2014)
Hi,

Since I don't have a testing environment, I am seeking help on this.
In a 2-node SQL Cluster, if Node-1 is on SQL 2008 SP3 and Node-2 is running on SP1 will instance gets failover irrepective of service pack level?

Thank you.

Yes, it will also perform a downgrade of the SQL server instance. For this reason follow the MS patch guide here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1602240
Posted Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:31 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:34 PM
Thank you Sir.
Post #1602245
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:19 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 1:06 PM
The way I have applied SPs and CUs is apply it to the inactive node, restart that node. Once you ahve time for an outage fail SQL Server over to the newly updated Node... make sure SQL Server is upgraded and is functional. Then apply the SP or CU to that now inactive node. Restart it. Fail SQL Server back over to that node to make sure it is all functional.

I have never removed a node from the cluster Admin.

Post #1602896
Posted Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:07 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:21 AM
The Microsoft recommendation removes any unpatched nodes from the possible owners of the VNN resource to prevent a failover causing a downgrade.
In most scenarios not all nodes are patched in one sitting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs"
Post #1602927
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse