Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Titles Matter Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 7:20 AM
Never forget the power or parenthesis. I was a Senior Database Adviser. Not everyone got what that was so on my resume I can list it as Senior Database Adviser (Senior DBA and Architect). It takes all the mystery out of it.
I had a friend who was having trouble getting work with 5 years as a "Quadbase Administrator" on his resume.We changed Quadbase to SQL RDBMS and the phone went crazy. You must be truthful on your resume but you can define yourself.
Best wishes
Barry O'Connell
22 year MS SQL Server guy
Post #1601164
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 7:27 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:43 AM
This is so true. People set their expectations of you based (in a large part) on your title. A mismatch between your actual job duties/responsibilities and your title can cause real difficulties in trying to accomplish your job.
Post #1601165
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 7:30 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:56 AM
Barry, I like the parens. That's a good idea.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1601166
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 7:31 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:21 PM
Haha, and then there's the power of not knowing what title someone should get

Where I'm at currently, management is very disconnected from the programming group, both in terms of knowledge and in terms of communication. On an e-mail I sent to our software vendor asking about a coding practice they use, I titled myself as the SQL DBA/Developer for the company. I figured, hey, why not? I manage the backups, the restores, the indexing, optimization, query construction, process improvement etc... Sure, it works!

Unfortunately, management wasn't happy with my self-titling, and they said DBA/Database Developer wasn't appropriate for my position, because it sounded "too important". I questioned what I should be called, then, and they said they didn't know. A year and a half later, I'm on the company directory, off in my own section, by myself, with no indicator of what my department is.

I really don't care what the business calls me one way or another, but the situation remains amusing to me

-
Post #1601167
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 7:31 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:20 AM
I would guess I've had more than 6 different job titles over the 20+ years. And it just changed again from Lead Programmer Analyst to Lead Application Developer. No change in duties or in pay. I've never been one to really care about my job title, just as long as I keep getting paid the "big bucks", Ha Ha.
But I do see the benefit of an accurate title when you go looking for that next job.
Post #1601169
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 7:34 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:56 AM
Gary, that's funny, because I DID bring donuts every Friday. Food is always a good way to get people to drop by. Less important long term but critical at the time is being able to figure out where someone fits in the power structure. Delivery Lead was ambiguous, I had office space next to the CIO, but I wasn't part of the leadership team. Everyone scratching their head about do I have power or not? Combined with the title, it was miserable/amusing on any given day for weeks. Eventually everyone figured out what I did and life was easier. I'll fight more for a better title next time (or use parens!).

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1601171
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 8:49 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 6:44 AM
Andy Warren (8/8/2014)
Technical Lead isn't a bad title, though I'd like it better if it were Database Technical Lead or SQL Technical Lead. Still, I think most reading the title will get/assume that you knew something!

It's rank-equivalent to team lead. The idea, as far as I can tell, is that teams will have one team lead, who manages and directs the people and one technical lead who manages and directs the technology used.

However I'm in a team of 1...

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1601217
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 9:09 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:32 PM
Andy, I like your idea about going to Indeed, Monster, whatever, and looking up one's title, or the title one would like to have, to learn more about it. Great idea. Thanks!

Rod
Post #1601224
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 9:11 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:45 AM
GilaMonster (8/8/2014)
Andy Warren (8/8/2014)
Technical Lead isn't a bad title, though I'd like it better if it were Database Technical Lead or SQL Technical Lead. Still, I think most reading the title will get/assume that you knew something!

It's rank-equivalent to team lead. The idea, as far as I can tell, is that teams will have one team lead, who manages and directs the people and one technical lead who manages and directs the technology used.

If you get involved in team arguments then there is help for that.1

1 Mental illness should be taken seriously. Jokes less so.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1601227
Posted Friday, August 8, 2014 9:32 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 6:58 AM
GilaMonster (8/8/2014)
Andy Warren (8/8/2014)

Hey, at least you're the leader of the team of 1.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1601236
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse