Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Need unique number for groups of records Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:58 PM
TomThomson (8/25/2014)
CELKO (8/19/2014)
>> ...

And while I'm asking "why", why don't you conform to this website's quote tag norm instead of doing something completely different?

Could it be that this sites quote tag norm isn't ANSI Standard? If it isn't ANSI Standard it isn't good enough for Mr. Celko I guess.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #1607159
Posted Monday, August 25, 2014 12:19 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 1:03 PM
I am definitely no expert, but in my (25-year) career I see a big difference between those who write books about coding versus those of us in the trenches who actually have to make things work. Under pressure, with no time to luxuriate in the philosophy of Best Practices. Ms. Pettis' suggestion of Dense_Rank() solved my problem perfectly and it was easy and intuitive to use.
Post #1607172
Posted Monday, August 25, 2014 12:25 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:20 AM
rwaring 96203 (8/25/2014)
I am definitely no expert, but in my (25-year) career I see a big difference between those who write books about coding versus those of us in the trenches who actually have to make things work. Under pressure, with no time to luxuriate in the philosophy of Best Practices. Ms. Pettis' suggestion of Dense_Rank() solved my problem perfectly and it was easy and intuitive to use.

+1
Post #1607176
Posted Monday, August 25, 2014 12:40 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

<* cough *>

I am definitely no expert, but in my (25-year) career I see a big difference between those who write books about coding versus those of us in the trenches who actually have to make things work. Under pressure, with no time to luxuriate in the philosophy of Best Practices. Ms. Mr. Pettis' suggestion of Dense_Rank() solved my problem perfectly and it was easy and intuitive to use.

Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

Post #1607186
Posted Monday, August 25, 2014 12:42 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:20 AM
Lynn Pettis (8/25/2014)

<* cough *>

I am definitely no expert, but in my (25-year) career I see a big difference between those who write books about coding versus those of us in the trenches who actually have to make things work. Under pressure, with no time to luxuriate in the philosophy of Best Practices. Ms. Mr. Pettis' suggestion of Dense_Rank() solved my problem perfectly and it was easy and intuitive to use.

Got me kind of worried for a minute
Post #1607189
Posted Monday, August 25, 2014 1:02 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 1:03 PM
Sorry about that!!
Post #1607201
Posted Monday, August 25, 2014 1:31 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:47 AM
Eirikur Eiriksson (8/25/2014)
Lynn Pettis (8/25/2014)

<* cough *>

Got me kind of worried for a minute

Lynn's ex-military. If he's gonna cough, let him cough. But don't ask him to cough...

Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this.

Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Post #1607219
Posted Monday, August 25, 2014 3:15 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:26 PM
The use of >> .. << is from the early days of the Internet. They are W. Quine's quasi-quotes in ASCII. This is long before HTML.

Also I use --CELKO-- as an UNIX convention for terminals. We got this from the telegraphic conventions. In those days, the telegrams were billed by the word count, so they were written in "telegram-eze", a language much like what the kids do with their cell phones today. In particular, there were numeric code bracket by -- in the text. the use of --30-- for the end of a newspaper article is still used in some publications.

My favorite NPR piece lately was a guy trying to learn emailing. He thought that LOL = "Lots of Love" and messed up big time. "Thinking about your mother's horrible death --LOL" etc.

Do other noobs lack any prior cultural knowledge that this might be worth an article?

Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing
Analytics and OLAP in SQL
Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice
Data, Measurements and Standards in SQL
SQL for Smarties
SQL Programming Style
SQL Puzzles and Answers
Thinking in Sets
Trees and Hierarchies in SQL
Post #1607261
Posted Monday, August 25, 2014 3:32 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:26 PM
I am definitely no expert, but in my (25-year) career I see a big difference between those who write books about coding versus those of us in the trenches who actually have to make things work. Under pressure, with no time to luxuriate in the philosophy of Best Practices.

Less than three decades of coding? So young! I started as full time paid programmer in 1965 (DoD Science Fair Prize) and quickly moved to defense contracting in the Cold War Era. We learned to follow "Best Practices" because if you screwed up, you killed the wrong people. Agile, extreme or other "cowboy coding with a fancy name" was not allowed for good reasons.

But when you start with good practices, you do them without thinking. A skilled athlete does not "smash at the ball' when the pressure is on. He automatically makes a smooth, clean move.

Quit making excuses for not being professional.

Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing
Analytics and OLAP in SQL
Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice
Data, Measurements and Standards in SQL
SQL for Smarties
SQL Programming Style
SQL Puzzles and Answers
Thinking in Sets
Trees and Hierarchies in SQL
Post #1607267
Posted Monday, August 25, 2014 3:57 PM

SSC-Insane

CELKO (8/25/2014)

Quit making excuses for not being professional.

I agree, try being a professional and stop bashing people over the proverbial head. Instead, try being an actual mentor to those less knowledgeable than you. Oh, sorry, you believe in the teaching method espoused by your wife.

And please, spare us the stories, we've all heard them many times and can find them on many of the threads you have galloped through.

Lynn Pettis

Post #1607275
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse