Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Need a SQL Server AUDITING tool Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 8:22 AM
Need recommendations on a good, easy to use --- SQL Server AUDITing tool... to capture many facets of who did what, when, how.. yaddy ya...

(I recently posted a similar ? on a need for an Inventory tool and got great feedback from u guys.. wound up using Microsoft's free Assessment & Planning tool)

We have over 600 SQL Servers in our organization... 1 group is using Idera's Compliance Mgr but is looking for other options

thanks in advance !

BT
Post #1590708
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 7:02 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:11 PM
ApexSQL has a compliance product that has been out for a long time. Tell them TheSQLGuru sent you - maybe you can get a discount. :)

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1590716
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 7:48 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 9:43 AM
I am not a fan, but you should at least take a look at the built-in functionality for auditing.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1590749
Posted Wednesday, July 9, 2014 11:04 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 9:42 AM
There are several products out there. I'm in the process of trying to find out what we want to audit and then picking the tool that does what we need best. I'm already leading toward Green SQL's product, http://greensql.com/product/database-activity-monitoring, because it doesn't make any changes to the database(s) or the SQL Server, but works like a firewall in front of the server. I haven't talked with them or demo'd it yet, but I like the idea behind it, especially when dealing with vendor databases who don't let you make database changes. Most of the other products out there use CDC, database triggers, DDL triggers, etc... to collect the data.

The thing I don't like about SQL Server's built-in auditing is that there isn't a built-in method to move the data to a central repository from each server. There is a tool on codeplex from the SQLCAT team called SQLAuditCentral, http://sqlcat.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=sqlauditcentral&referringTitle=Home

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1590867
Posted Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:59 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:43 AM
Express12 (7/9/2014)
Need recommendations on a good, easy to use --- SQL Server AUDITing tool... to capture many facets of who did what, when, how.. yaddy ya...

(I recently posted a similar ? on a need for an Inventory tool and got great feedback from u guys.. wound up using Microsoft's free Assessment & Planning tool)

We have over 600 SQL Servers in our organization... 1 group is using Idera's Compliance Mgr but is looking for other options

thanks in advance !

You can also take a look at this application (http://www.sqlserveraudit.org) which makes database auditing secure and specific user activities and operations as per requirement. It helps to keep all record server audit action groups per-instance, and database audit actions per database. By archiving all the logs centrally, it allows to uphold compliance standards and regulations like SOX, HIPAA, PCI and GLBA.
Post #1591026
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse