Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Apology for today's article Expand / Collapse
Author
SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 18, 2007 3:36 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Apology for today's article
Post #1585011
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014 4:12 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:38 AM
Maybe the editorial process could include something like "copy paste a sentence into google and see if something turns up".
It will not catch everything, but at least the pure copy/paste plagiarism will be eliminated.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1585026
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014 4:44 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 5:57 AM
Also, would be beneficial to make the name of the "author" public so other sites will be aware of him and his practices.
Post #1585044
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014 6:17 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 2:48 PM
Also, would be beneficial to make the name of the "author" public so other sites will be aware of him and his practices.

If you get the email subscription, you can find the name, not that it helps. It probably will add more fuel to some uncomfortable issues.

There are hundreds of articles and blog postings by others, found elsewhere, that are little more than regurgitated MSDN articles with new screen shots and a few minor changes. I guess some people don't understand how easy it is to recognize and trace these issues.

The really sad thing is that it causes other problems in the community, including deep biases against specific cultures and backgrounds. It has affected peoples responses to innocent quality individuals even within PASS. That's a real bummer.
Post #1585081
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014 6:31 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 5:57 AM
I agree and I found the name... Was saying to make it public in their apology letter, although, now that thinking it out loud, it would create more publicity for that person... So, yeah... Sad...
Post #1585084
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014 6:44 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 2:48 PM
So, yeah... Sad...

Sad is the word. Sadder still is that at my work a colleague had a bet to guess the background of the author...
Post #1585094
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014 6:47 AM

SSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:38 AM
chrisn-585491 (6/23/2014)
So, yeah... Sad...

Sad is the word. Sadder still is that at my work a colleague had a bet to guess the background of the author...

Unfortunately, most of the copyright violaters at this site share a similar background.
Rotten appels in a basket...

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1585096
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014 6:54 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 1:49 AM
Koen Verbeeck (6/23/2014)
Maybe the editorial process could include something like "copy paste a sentence into google and see if something turns up".
It will not catch everything, but at least the pure copy/paste plagiarism will be eliminated.

There seem to be loads of plagiarism finder tools online like this one:

http://www.plagscan.com/seesources/search.php?

Try one.
Post #1585099
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014 9:24 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:53 PM
This is another reason why I call SQLServerCentral.com "home". There's a lot of honor in the good folks that run this site.

There are some sites (some that are even "professional" sites) where the idea of a copyright doesn't seem to hold any water and it's a huge pain to write a DCMA on them. I've not only had many an article copied directly but a good number of them are where the blog owner has removed my name and claimed it as if it were their original work. On many of these sites, there's no way given to even lodge a complaint against the blog owner. Both the site and the blog owner where this happens have no such honor and gives the country of origin an otherwise undeserved bad name.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1585177
Posted Monday, June 23, 2014 9:44 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:16 AM
Koen Verbeeck (6/23/2014)
chrisn-585491 (6/23/2014)
So, yeah... Sad...

Unfortunately, most of the copyright violaters at this site share a similar background.
Rotten appels in a basket...

Yes they do, there's a cultural difference at play here. In a culture where plagiarism is second nature, your opinion might seem strange. Like your neighbour telling the police you put a chicken bone in the paper recycling bin - whoops, that's Germany, not Belgium - but you get the point. Keep pushing and educating, tell 'em it's not ok with the rest of the world and eventually they will get the point too.
We were told as kids in Scotland not to wipe one's nose on one's sleeve in Japan

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1585187
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse