Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Restore Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:47 AM
RLilj33 (6/6/2014)
HanShi (6/6/2014)
I was in doubt, because I found it difficult to get the intention of the question (perhaps because I'm not native English speaking). Did I need to take the question literally ("database needs to go offline when starting a restore") or do I need to take the question in general ("database needs to be offline during all the restore sequenses).
So I chose the wrong answer....

I had the same question as you, HanShi, and I am a native English speaker.

I had to do some reading and was able to find the topic in BOL. The 5th paragraph, 3rd sentence reads "During the piecemeal-restore sequence, the whole database must go offline."

See the topic, "Online piecemeal restore scenario". I believe the process is: Entire database goes offline, Primary filegroup is restored, Primary filegroup comes back online, Subsequent filegroups can be brought online one at a time.

I have not performed a piecemeal restore, so those more familiar - please make the necessary annotations!

Seems like lots of us a) have never done a piecemeal restore and b) don't read the entire topic when searching the online help. I guess I should have searched for "piecemeal" and then searched within the page for "offline" to get the right answer. :)
Post #1578335
Posted Friday, June 6, 2014 10:21 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 8:25 PM
RLilj33 (6/6/2014)
HanShi (6/6/2014)
I was in doubt, because I found it difficult to get the intention of the question (perhaps because I'm not native English speaking). Did I need to take the question literally ("database needs to go offline when starting a restore") or do I need to take the question in general ("database needs to be offline during all the restore sequenses).
So I chose the wrong answer....

I had the same question as you, HanShi, and I am a native English speaker.

I had to do some reading and was able to find the topic in BOL. The 5th paragraph, 3rd sentence reads "During the piecemeal-restore sequence, the whole database must go offline."

See the topic, "Online piecemeal restore scenario". I believe the process is: Entire database goes offline, Primary filegroup is restored, Primary filegroup comes back online, Subsequent filegroups can be brought online one at a time.

I have not performed a piecemeal restore, so those more familiar - please make the necessary annotations!

The wording of the question did leave plenty of room for confusion.

But yes, the piecemeal restore is as you said.
The database is offline momentarily while the primary filegroup is restored. This is a good reason to leave your primary filegroup very small.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1578398
Posted Friday, June 6, 2014 11:55 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:29 AM
I had no idea that piecemeal restores were a real option. I thought it was slang for some sort of other restore process. Learned something new today. Thanks for the question!
Post #1578439
Posted Saturday, June 7, 2014 8:10 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:35 PM
RLilj33 (6/6/2014)
I believe the process is: Entire database goes offline, Primary filegroup is restored, Primary filegroup comes back online, Subsequent filegroups can be brought online one at a time.

That is correct.

And concerning an earlier question: piecemeal restore is (a) only available if you use multiple filegroups, and (b) for databases in simple recovery the additional requirement is that at least some of those filegroups are readonly (and only those filegroups can benefit from the piecemeal restore process).
So a simple recovery database with only read-write filegroups cannot benefir from this feature.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1578576
Posted Saturday, June 7, 2014 1:59 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:12 AM
I too wondered what the question was intended to mean. Out of various options I selected one of the wrong ones - namely, "is online peicemeal restore (as opposed to offline piecemeal restore) unsupported". The BOL page referrred to in the explanation states that online piecemeal restore is supported in Enterprise edition and not in other editions (probably a BOL error given that evaluation and developer editions normally contain all the enterprie edition stuff), so the answer is "No it isn't unsupported", ie translated as "no" for what I thought the question meant. But the question actually intended was presumably "Does the database have to go offline at some point in an online piecemeal restore", and in all fairness to the question's author that's what I should have realised it meant when I first read it - and I don't have the excuse of not having native-level capability in English.

Tom
Post #1578598
Posted Monday, June 9, 2014 3:05 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 1:35 AM
I never used this "Piecemeal Restore" before, so it was interesting question for me, thanx.
Post #1578733
Posted Monday, June 9, 2014 10:24 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 11:49 AM
nice question free mascot.
Post #1578905
Posted Wednesday, June 11, 2014 6:38 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:50 PM
Thanks, good one!
Post #1579593
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse