Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Restore Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:56 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Restore

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Post #1578133
Posted Friday, June 6, 2014 12:46 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:32 PM
Nice question, thanks.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1578172
Posted Friday, June 6, 2014 2:55 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
Thank you for the post, free_mascot, interesting one. (couple of days ago, was searching the google for back/restore articles any newly written... and I came across one where this word "piecemeal" was mentioned, though I did not read it what it was about, but my first impression was some kind of made up name... and weird for me to find an entry in the local_help index... well ... )

In the local help, at first it says

"This topic is relevant only for databases in the Enterprise edition of SQL Server that contain multiple files or filegroups; and, under the simple model, only for read-only filegroups."

and then...

"Piecemeal restore works with all recovery models, but is more flexible for the full and bulk-logged models than for the simple model. "

failed to co-relate them. One day I will see these in action, I suppose, as restoring FGs... in a decent and consistent way... should become a default practice..

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Post #1578202
Posted Friday, June 6, 2014 3:33 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 1:09 AM
I was in doubt, because I found it difficult to get the intention of the question (perhaps because I'm not native English speaking). Did I need to take the question literally ("database needs to go offline when starting a restore") or do I need to take the question in general ("database needs to be offline during all the restore sequenses).
So I chose the wrong answer....

The linked article states:
•Online piecemeal restore scenario

In an online piecemeal restore, after the partial-restore sequence, the database is online, and the primary filegroup and any recovered secondary filegroups are available. Filegroups that have not yet been restored remain offline, but they can be restored as needed while the database remains online.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
Post #1578214
Posted Friday, June 6, 2014 4:14 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:41 AM
HanShi (6/6/2014)
I was in doubt, because I found it difficult to get the intention of the question (perhaps because I'm not native English speaking). Did I need to take the question literally ("database needs to go offline when starting a restore") or do I need to take the question in general ("database needs to be offline during all the restore sequenses).

In an online piecemeal restore, after the partial-restore sequence, the database is online, and the primary filegroup and any recovered secondary filegroups are available. Filegroups that have not yet been restored remain offline, but they can be restored as needed while the database remains online.

(just trying to add in something..)

I guess because of this, as in it says "Online piecemeal restores can involve deferred transactions", so possibly involves higher risk because if more than one FG exists and only PRI FG is restored. In offline there is no risk as the db is offline and user or app cannot access and a DBA can make sure that before it goes online everything is prefect. So I think, by default they go Offline and in very rare circumstances (which I am not sure) they choose Online.

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Post #1578225
Posted Friday, June 6, 2014 4:21 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:05 PM
Had to read up on this, so learned something new today,
thanks.

Post #1578227
Posted Friday, June 6, 2014 5:32 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:48 PM
I learned something new today as well. Thanks and everyone have a great weekend.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Post #1578245
Posted Friday, June 6, 2014 6:51 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:50 AM
HanShi (6/6/2014)

+1

Found the article before hand and answered the same way...
Post #1578274
Posted Friday, June 6, 2014 7:29 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:53 PM
Ed Wagner (6/6/2014)
I learned something new today as well. Thanks and everyone have a great weekend.

+1

Everything is awesome!
Post #1578292
Posted Friday, June 6, 2014 7:45 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:49 PM
HanShi (6/6/2014)

I had the same question as you, HanShi, and I am a native English speaker.

I had to do some reading and was able to find the topic in BOL. The 5th paragraph, 3rd sentence reads "During the piecemeal-restore sequence, the whole database must go offline."

See the topic, "Online piecemeal restore scenario". I believe the process is: Entire database goes offline, Primary filegroup is restored, Primary filegroup comes back online, Subsequent filegroups can be brought online one at a time.

I have not performed a piecemeal restore, so those more familiar - please make the necessary annotations!
Post #1578306
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse