Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

No Works of Art Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:00 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item No Works of Art

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1575422
Posted Wednesday, May 28, 2014 9:13 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:48 PM
This is a very hard sell for me at work. Has anyone gone through the process of changing a culture from using GUI based installers to one using a text/scripting process?
Post #1575430
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:08 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:07 AM
We've moved to the point where everything developed in the past 12 months is deployed using Puppet and Vagrant. You trigger a build and a pre-configured system materialises either on your desktops or your servers.

The challenge for us has been getting something that happily builds from a single master to something that can build on many hundred machines without a single master dependency.

Technologies like Docker look incredibly promising.

By treating infrastructure as software it means that the full configuration goes under version control!

It's a brave and better new world.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1575460
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:30 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:35 AM
Just like many readers of this editorial, I am sure, half way through I was thinking "scripting". It is a great way to maintain documentation (please tell me you add comments to your scripts!!!) in a way that assists manual ad hoc tasks as well as enabling automation.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1575463
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:52 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:25 AM
Interesting Topic

We have a very complicated process to deploy our product. We use a combination of msi and powershell and manual configuration. Talk about work of art, this belongs in MoMA :)

Seriously, because the software/product relies on so many technologies, SQL Server/IIS/SSIS/MongoDB, the deployment is very involved but credit to the developers, they are moving towards a simpler version that is more scripted. But it is taking a while.

This is ok but the deployment tends to be more "black box" and when things go wrong it needs more than one person to deal with it. So we have the issue of confidence in the deployment.

We also suffer from a 2 week deployment cycle which means we have very little time to test before a live release. We don't even have a environment that mirrors live..shocking I know

All these things make for quite an anxious time. But amazingly we continue to release.

I am all for a scripted approach or at least an automated process that removes decisions from the deployment engineer but can we really get there when there are many technologies and are we widening the knowledge gap between the creators of the software and those that are supposed to support it (I know this will vary company to company, but in my company we tend to keep developers away from Customer Support ;) )

Graeme

Post #1575512
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:03 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

I am also a big fan of (preferably scriptable) environment testing utilities. Often PowerShell cmdlets.

Gaz

Post #1575515
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:52 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 6:52 AM
I'm a student of Master Sean McCown and his attitude towards being an Enterprise DBA: Let's script or automate everything!
Post #1575586
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:58 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 1:51 PM
Scripting and automation are great tools. They are perfect tools for lazy DBAs (we like to not have to do the same manual thing over and over). Sure it may take a little bit of extra effort to get there, but hopefully that effort level does not exceed the effort level of doing things manually.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1575593
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:07 AM

SSCertifiable

Sometimes it is not wasted time but mistakes that are trying to be avoided.

Of course, if the script is not robust nor tested enough you can repeated the same mistake loads of times pretty quickly!!!

Gaz

Post #1575599
Posted Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:46 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 9:18 AM
Documents never get rev'ed to keep up with changes. Human memory is faulty, and certainly we find ourselves clicking the wrong button at times

Alas, scripts (especially the 'auto answer' variety) suffer from the same problem, perhaps more dangerously because you never easily see what is being replied

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1575617
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse