Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Failure Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 5:38 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Failure

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1571582
Posted Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:00 PM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 5:50 AM
I've had health problems which can really limit what I can do. I also have a sub optimal reaction to stress. My people skills aren't as good as my technical skills.
Post #1571599
Posted Friday, May 16, 2014 2:52 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:37 AM
I found that it is not worth planning too much in advance in a technology career as technologies and the types of roles change over time.

That doesn't mean that one should be directionless but don't spend too much time and effort on something that has no value for the foreseeable future and would only come to fruition in a decade or so. Unless you are doing it for enjoyment.

I am certainly not saying that one shouldn't invest in oneself but rather just don't play too long a game.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1571644
Posted Friday, May 16, 2014 7:02 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 11:21 AM
Sometimes a minor failure, more like a temporary set back, results in a re-evaluation of our career, and it is actually becomes the impetus for moving to the next level up. That's true for those of us who may be risk adverse and tend to get stuck in a rut doing what's familiar; rather than branching out beyond what our current specialization is.
Post #1571703
Posted Friday, May 16, 2014 7:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, May 16, 2014 7:34 AM
When thinking back on my career, just a few simple mottos I have developed come to mind:

Change is good, albeit scary.

Stick to the facts when trying to solve problems. If you get lost in what you expect instead of what you inspect - you will almost always end up on the wrong road.

Break it down when it gets too big.

Try never to burn a bridge, you never know when it may become your best available path.

Most all of my failures could have been avoided by thinking a second time before I hit that button!
Post #1571722
Posted Friday, May 16, 2014 7:47 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 9:23 AM
Always liked what Tim O’Reilly has done for technology. But what I like most is that he has been driven to do what he sees as the right thing. If all he focused on was money, power and control, I suspect that we would not be having this discussion.

Still, the word Failure is a word that society is most uncomfortable with. Yet, many great things have come from failed attempts. Thomas Edison is said to have said that “I have not failed, I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” And in the early days of IBM, a management executive made a bad decision that ended up costing one million dollars. The executive expected Tom Watson to fire him. Watson’s reply was that he just spent a million dollars training him, so he was not going to fire him. And we have all heard of how Einstein was an early failure, relegated to the Swill patent office.

Everyone I know has had ups and downs in their career. And priorities often change. But what really is success? Everyone must decide what success is to them, and not let the simplistic goals of fame, fortune, power nor money define success. Define success for yourself, and let any failures be a means of learning.

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.
Post #1571726
Posted Friday, May 16, 2014 7:59 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Today @ 12:39 PM
It goes to perspective. "Have I failed in my career?", I don't know, my career is not over yet. Have I had failures in my career? Sure, those set backs have led to all the successes. Did I chart my career and then follow the road map? No. Is that a failure? It is if you call that a failure. (I have thought it was in a period of life). What is the purpose of my career? Ultimately, it is to provide for my family. It is not about me being glorified for my intelligence. It is not about me always getting to do what I want to do. It is not about me.

Do I like what I do? Sure. Do people think I am intelligent? Well, they pay me like I am, and I provide them a service like I am, so by some measure I must be.

Do I make the people around me happier or sadder for the experience? Do I improve my work place or simply extract income? I think the answer is I make people happier and improve the environment (while getting income). Have I failed in my career? I do not know. I do know I am succeeding at my career.

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
Post #1571736
Posted Friday, May 16, 2014 8:22 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:07 AM
I have learned that when you consider a job opportunity, you really need to consider how your personality will fit in with the culture of the workplace.

I took a job at a law firm. I was in their I.T. department doing software training, help desk, and some database maintenance. The job itself was interesting and kept me busy.

The issue is that I am a very non-confrontational type of person. It was difficult when attorneys would call screaming with an issue (which wouldn't have been issues if they would have called me before they tried to fix it). I got so stressed out that I developed some major health issues because of it.
Post #1571748
Posted Friday, May 16, 2014 9:46 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Today @ 1:11 PM
Andrew..Peterson (5/16/2014)
Thomas Edison is said to have said that “I have not failed, I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

BE CAREFUL! You're on an IT forum quoting Edison. You'll inevitably stir up the Tesla vs Edison debate and that always gets ugly.

I do like that quote and admire his outlook on the failures...I wish I could be so tenacious.
Post #1571797
Posted Friday, May 16, 2014 9:48 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Today @ 10:30 AM
I read your question and laughed. The question could have been how I failed in my career and lived a better life?

When I was 23 or 24 I interviewed at Microsoft, about 1988. I was offered a job doing programmer telephone support. I was in a serious relationship at the time and we discussed the pros and cons. I told her flat out that we'd be quite wealthy if I took the job and stayed for 10 or so years but that'd I'd be gone 13 to 14 hours a day at work. If I would have taken the job I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten married had a great kid and have now been together for over 25 years. I failed at the money/career and succeeded in life.

Actually my career is life not work so maybe I haven't failed.
Post #1571798
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse