Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Removing Memory-optimized tables Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:33 AM
Great question Steve. I had to do some research to figure it out, so I definitely learned something today.

Everything is awesome!
Post #1568468
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:42 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:56 PM
Good question.

My problem is I am not certain that this implementation of the feature is very good. I can find where people would want to remove the in-memory filegroups. Needing to restore the database in order to remove the filegroups is a complete pita.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1568474
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:34 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:47 PM
Thanks for the question Steve! I had to look this up too. Now knowing that the database would have to be dropped if I wanted to remove the filegroup, I would definitely want to test this out on a dev instance for a while before trying it in production!
Post #1568674
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 3:44 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:19 PM
sestell1 (5/7/2014)
Hmph. Since the question asked how to remove the filegroup from the database, I didn't consider dropping the database a viable option.

"Memory-optimized filegroups cannot be deleted."
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn284308(v=sql.120).aspx

+1
It's like asking how to remove a SQL Server instance from your server and you say that you can do it by reinstalling the OS. It works, but it's not exactly what you need.

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1568719
Posted Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:27 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, August 4, 2014 12:29 PM
nice question..
thanks steve.
Post #1568730
Posted Thursday, May 8, 2014 7:53 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:21 PM
Thanks
Post #1568895
Posted Friday, May 9, 2014 1:56 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 6:10 AM
SQLRNNR (5/7/2014)
... ... pita.

Well, I have a tendency of shortening the sentence by picking the beginning letter of each word in that and create a abbreviation or acronym, recently few minutes ago I was in a situation where I heard myself saying the expanded version, normally, and then in next moment I was working on shortening it and I came across THAT word... and at the same time ... I remember reading mentioned here on the post. Well now it all makes sense.. and before I was wondering what the "plant yielding strong fibre"* has to do with the memory-optimized tables.

* http://www.bing.com/search?q=define%3A+pita&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IE11TR&conversationid=

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Post #1569167
Posted Saturday, May 10, 2014 4:07 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:07 AM
Drop the database, hmm, learnt something new.
Post #1569505
Posted Saturday, May 10, 2014 10:54 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:13 PM
Hmmm, I did get it right but I didn't really like the question. Or rather, the answer options; the question itself is great.

I'd say that both "drop the DB" and "you can't" are correct. And if you really want to split hairs, you could even say that "you can't" is the only correct option, because the question was on removing the FG from the DB; dropping the DB removes the entire DB, with all its FGs, it removes the FG from existence but not from the DB.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1569533
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse