Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.
 
Log in  ::  Register  ::  Not logged in
 
 
 
        
Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On


Add to briefcase

SSRS 2008R@_Reporting Services: Got an error message "Timeout expired" when doing "Request Fields" for a stored procedure. Expand / Collapse
Author
Message
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:41 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 1:56 PM
Points: 8, Visits: 56
Hello BI experts,

I have successfully ran the sp on SSMS and got the results(about 30 thousands records) and it's fine.
However, when I created a SSRS report and added a dataset to run this sp, after I "Refresh Fields" and I got this error message below:
"Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding."

I have Timeout(in senconds) set to 0.

What do I do to fix this? so that I can execute the sp in RDL and getting my fields populate in my dataset?

Thank you so much for your help!

LL
Post #1566863
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:56 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 1:56 PM
Points: 8, Visits: 56
I also got an error message from 'Microsoft SQL Server Report Designer" below:
"Could not update a list of fields or the query. Verify that you can connect to the data source and that your query syntax is correct".
-----
I also check the data source and the test connection succeeded. So not sure if I need to change any setting on the web.config ?

Thank you for all your advice.

LL
Post #1566865
Posted Monday, May 5, 2014 9:27 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 1:56 PM
Points: 8, Visits: 56
Can someone help me to reply to the problem that I posted above? Thank you!

LL
Post #1567564
Posted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:58 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:32 AM
Points: 28, Visits: 189
Hi BiCoolGal,

That seems like an unusual error message you're getting. Did you trying running the query under "Query Type = Text" instead of stored procedure. You may be able to connect to your database (just the Test Connection did) but for some reason the SP is not being found.
Post #1567856
Posted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:34 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:26 AM
Points: 1,187, Visits: 1,542
Did you make sure that the account that is used to run the report (ie the one defined in your connection) has rights to run the sp? I know that I have separate account that I use for running reports and I have to explicitly grant it exec on the sp before it can run in a report.

Just a thought..

Bex
Post #1567866
Posted Tuesday, May 6, 2014 4:47 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 1:56 PM
Points: 8, Visits: 56
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time reading my problem and replying.

@TheComedian: yes, it's a strange error. I have tried to convert a sp to a query since I didn't have a parameter in my SP, it still didn't work with SSRS and got the same error message.

@Bex: I am able to run all other sps but just that one sp I got the timeout expried error message.

However, my coworker just suggested me to back up the original sp, then throw all the records into a table then create another sp with one statement of select all from that table. Run the SSRS and make sure the fields got populated in the data set, then I just modify the existing sp and delete the back up one and it works perfect...Just wanted to share the solution.

Thanks again!

Lucy
Post #1568229
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse