Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

date format while inserting irrespective of regional settings Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 2, 2014 5:04 AM
as per my understanding If I pass a date to sql server to insert it will parse the date on the basis of the regional settings of the machine where sql-server is installed. For example if I pass a date as "10/01/2000" and the regional setting is "dd/MM/yyyy" then sql-server will insert the date as "10th January 2000" and if the regional setting is "MM/dd/yyyy" then "1st October 2000" will be inserted. Am I right?....Please bear with me as I am not proficient in SQL-SERVER....if this is the case then prior to writing code I have to be confirmed about sql-server machine regional settings......Is there a way that I can send SQL-SERVER the format also?
Post #1566642
Posted Thursday, May 1, 2014 4:12 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:39 AM
It doesn't depend on the SQL Server setting but on the setting of the date format setting at the point the INSERT statement.
It is influenced by the following settings:
SET DATEFORMAT
SET LANGUAGE
The language setting of the user running the command / batch / sproc
The server setting

If you want to avoid dealing with different settings for date format, I'd recommend to use the ISO standard: YYYMMDD HH:MM:SS.
So, instead of sending "10/01/2000" you should either use "20000110" or "20001001", depending on the date it refers to.
This will always convert to the same date, regardless of the settings mentioned above.

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #1566663
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse