Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

The Subtle Push to the Cloud Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 8:14 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Subtle Push to the Cloud

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1565747
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:41 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:30 PM
I really hope that the split between SQL Azure and on-premises SQL Server is somewhere close to 50/50 just so that both remain equally valuable to Microsoft. Perhaps they will add more features to the lower versions in order to tease them into SQL Azure later on.

Who knows? Not I. I am the worst predictor I know.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1565782
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:00 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 3:32 AM
There is no way that we in the NHS could use cloud computing in general, or Azure in particular, especially for databases that contain patient data. The risks of unauthorized access is too high to begin with and when you add to that the fact that a US judge could order Microsoft to grant access to your data (see here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/28/us_judge_digital_search_warrants_apply_everywhere/), we wouldn't be able to guarantee the required level of data security. The ISC (Information Security Commission) would gut us, it would probably cost more in fines for breach of patient data security than we would save in licensing and hardware, which is the point of the legislation.
Post #1565786
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:15 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Alex Gay (4/29/2014)
There is no way that we in the NHS could use cloud computing in general, or Azure in particular, especially for databases that contain patient data. The risks of unauthorized access is too high to begin with and when you add to that the fact that a US judge could order Microsoft to grant access to your data (see here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/28/us_judge_digital_search_warrants_apply_everywhere/), we wouldn't be able to guarantee the required level of data security. The ISC (Information Security Commission) would gut us, it would probably cost more in fines for breach of patient data security than we would save in licensing and hardware, which is the point of the legislation.

So true. In the UK there will be many more industries under similar restrictions (e.g. financial data)...and then there is the rest of the world too.

Maybe that means that there is room for supporting both online and on-premises!!!

Gaz

Post #1565792
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 3:03 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 7:13 AM
Gary Varga (4/29/2014)
I really hope that the split between SQL Azure and on-premises SQL Server is somewhere close to 50/50 just so that both remain equally valuable to Microsoft. Perhaps they will add more features to the lower versions in order to tease them into SQL Azure later on.

Who knows? Not I. I am the worst predictor I know.

This is my position as well - I would like real choice in the market to allow businesses to choose private or cloud.

I actually struggle to get a decent non smart phone these days - every phone shop sells the same phones it is disappointing when markets seem to reduce in choice.

When vendors push people in directions they want rather than what their clients want - it is often an inspiration for open source.
Post #1565812
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 3:23 AM

SSCertifiable

Dalkeith (4/29/2014)
...When vendors push people in directions they want rather than what their clients want - it is often an inspiration for open source.

Totally agree. This is the point when customers add their financial backing to open source projects because they are the only ones close to satisfying their business requirements. I just hope MS does not lose sight of that.

Gaz

Post #1565815
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 4:06 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:32 AM
In today's news the US Government have decided that Microsoft data held in Ireland must be made available to the US government. If that decision is upheld then the implications for the Azure cloud are horrendous. For many cases it kills Azure stone dead. Presumably this dictat will eventually hit Amazon and any other primarily US based company.

It's a trick situation because on-line data is effectively stateless. Who owns the data, who has rights to it? The companies who put the data where it is or the companies who store the data?

Should data storage be considered to have the sanctity of the priests confessional box?

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1565829
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 4:24 AM

SSCertifiable

David.Poole (4/29/2014)
In today's news the US Government have decided that Microsoft data held in Ireland must be made available to the US government. If that decision is upheld then the implications for the Azure cloud are horrendous. For many cases it kills Azure stone dead. Presumably this dictat will eventually hit Amazon and any other primarily US based company.

It's a trick situation because on-line data is effectively stateless. Who owns the data, who has rights to it? The companies who put the data where it is or the companies who store the data?

Should data storage be considered to have the sanctity of the priests confessional box?

Well this makes a mockery of the EU Data Protection laws.

Gaz

Post #1565836
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 5:22 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 7:13 AM
There are two aspects of software which make it unique in the world of Economics.

Immortality and essentially Free Duplication.

Immortality usually leads to higher prices - eg gold diamonds etc
100% Accurate free reproduction means no supply limits and which leads to zero cost.

If software does what is required and will continue to do that from now until eternity - what is the point in re-design.

Its not as if accounting theory has changed much in the last 500 years.

When open source reaches the required level of stability and usability I think the market will naturally migrate.
Post #1565861
Posted Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:10 AM

SSCertifiable

I'm not convinced by Dalkeith's arguments here. Everything is in a constant state of change, even if only slowly in some circles.

Gaz

Post #1565872
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse