Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

HA options Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:13 PM
greetings - we have SQL Server 2008 R2, and am in the process of setting up mirrored databases with a witness server. We wanted complete transparency, so we were hoping to use Windows Clustering to provide a virtual IP address so that users wouldn't need to modify their connection strings at all. Alas, for whatever reason, Windows Clustering isn't going to work, so I'm faced with a dilemma.

1) the .net apps can change their connection strings to recognize a principal and a mirror - that is fine, but what about our dozens of SSIS jobs and other ETL (Talend, Pentaho etc) jobs? Is there a way for these jobs to use a principal/mirror setup and/or a virtual IP address?
2) I could go with MSCS but then I have the single point of failure with the DB, and my experience in the past using DoubleTake/Geocluster to do a stretch cluster was slightly sketchy.

any opinions or solutions?
Post #1565223
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:13 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 9:32 AM
Do you have the option of upgrading to SQL 2012 and utilising Always on Availability Groups?

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012
Post #1566314
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:05 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:13 PM
looks like we're headed that direction, if I have my way. I was preparing for other options in case management said no.
Post #1566444
Posted Friday, May 2, 2014 10:04 PM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:04 PM
The only other viable option is see here would be geo clustering or having a cname alias in AD for the instance and using that in the application connection string. That way, you can have an alternate cluster (like a DR Site) and mirror the data over there. The failover will be handled by AD using a 3rd party application used in datacenter failover. That will fix this but expand the project scope. Else, geo-clustering is the way to go.
Post #1567209
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse