Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Edit script on Script Task hangs when VB is selected but opens when C# is selected Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:29 PM
I googled and searched on this and can't find anything about this specific issue.

Has anyone ever experienced this? It doesn't pop up any errors, it just sits there when I try to edit a script in Script Task if I choose VB. It opens immediately when I choose C# which makes me think it's not a memory issue. Once it hangs, I have to kill it via the Task Manager.

Post #1564781
Posted Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:25 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 11:20 PM
Seems like an issue loading the assemblies needed for VB.
Did you try a repair of BIDS? (bit of a long shot, I know)

I think this is the universe telling you to switch to C#.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1564874
Posted Friday, April 25, 2014 8:23 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Koen Verbeeck (4/24/2014)

Maybe...it did work at first, but it doesn't anymore. I installed SQL Server 2012 developer ed. on my laptop at home as the admin and I've never had this issue there. Maybe the permissions on my work laptop made it so something's read only, hidden, or didn't get installed properly. It'd take forever to find it probably.

I'd like to switch to c# but I don't know it and I can't seem to find a decent resource for learning it as it relates to SSIS. Can you recommend a good book?
Post #1565114
Posted Sunday, April 27, 2014 11:57 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 11:20 PM
SQL is delicious (4/25/2014)
Koen Verbeeck (4/24/2014)

Maybe...it did work at first, but it doesn't anymore. I installed SQL Server 2012 developer ed. on my laptop at home as the admin and I've never had this issue there. Maybe the permissions on my work laptop made it so something's read only, hidden, or didn't get installed properly. It'd take forever to find it probably.

I'd like to switch to c# but I don't know it and I can't seem to find a decent resource for learning it as it relates to SSIS. Can you recommend a good book?

The only SSIS scripting book that I know is with Visual Basic.
I learned C# by myself as well. Just looked online for a few easy tutorials to get familiar with the syntax. And then just dive in. The algorithms are just the same as with VB, it's just the syntax that is different.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1565463
Posted Monday, April 28, 2014 7:25 AM
SSC Rookie

Thanks Koen; I think what's making me queasy is I don't know the object model in SSIS very well and I haven't been able to find a good resource for that either. It's tricky getting started; even the "professional SSIS" books kind of skim over actual scripting and actual expression-writing, which are two areas that I need help with.
Post #1565573
Posted Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:47 AM
SSC Rookie

The original problem solved itself when I got a new laptop. Apparently the one I was first issued with was really that bad. I'm told that it's extraordinary for the IT dept here to switch out a laptop that quickly instead of attempting to repair it, so I feel fortunate.

In any case, I don't have the original problem anymore. I wish I knew what the actual problem was, though! I'll wonder about that for a while.
Post #1566404
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse