Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Good Practices for Software Development Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:51 AM
We've told several vendors that there is not a chance that they will get to use sa to do anything, and that they need to change their product to meet our security requirements. That works most of the time.

It seems to me that an app that requires you to have a password in plain text was written by lazy programmers. The solution is to have the password entered into a configuration screen that creates the config file, or even just inserts the encrypted password in the file using a key in generated by the program itself.
Post #1564912
Posted Friday, April 25, 2014 12:46 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:53 AM
Showed one supplier what could happen with the SA account. Lets say the junior consultant was indifferent whereas the senior consultant went white, walked outside to have a long conversation with his bosses. Apparently about their exposure and how many bluechips companies they then had to visit.

Up shot application secured

It helps to work with them, give them a solution and pray
Post #1564968
Posted Friday, April 25, 2014 4:26 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 8:12 AM
Eric M Russell (4/24/2014)
If a software application is hard coded to use the "SA" account, you can rename it and then create a new account named "SA" with limited permissions. One or more builtin database level roles like db_ssisadmin, db_datareader, or even db_owner can provide all the permissions it requires to function. This also works for environments where developers and the BI team have been using the "SA" account for years. Don't tell them, just do it. So long as they can still select from tables and view schema, they probably won't know the difference.

Wow. + 1000000 if not more and this month's Evil Genius Using Their Power For Good Award

I'm a DBA.
I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.
Post #1565012
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse