Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQL Azure with SSD's Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:22 PM
Hi -

Anyone running SQL Azure residing on SSD's?

I have a very volatile OLTP environment that we'll be splitting up between GeoLocations.
I've been speaking w/ AWS about spinning up a VM with a combination of the SSD's and their EBS storage.

I'm trying to determine what my options are with Azure. So - from what I see, A9 offers 16 cores, 112 GB RAM - what about storage?

Our current environment leverages local PCIe cards for temp db and a flash array for other database files.
Post #1564454
Posted Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:28 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:22 AM
You're talking Azure VMs, not SQL Azure which is the platform as a service offering, not infrastructure.

As far as disks go, the only ones available currently are through Azure blob storage which is hard capped at 500 iops. While you can stripe them into virtual disks to get more (roughly multiplicative, 2 disks = 1000 iops, etc.). But that's the only thing on offer at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1564466
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse