Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SSRS 2008 Report - Hyperlink on Name - After Clicking - Open Outlook Mail with Subject and Body Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:42 PM
Hello,

After reading the subject of this post, i think you got a picture of what i am going to do.

I have a report and one of the column is Planner. It displays the name and that name should be hyperlinked and when i click that, outlook mail should open and this Planner name should be in "To" list.

I did it using "MailTo:"

Now the added requirement is, after clicking name in report, outlook mail should open with Subject and the data should be in the body of the email. After some research, i did it with below code.

="MailTo:" & Fields!Email.Value & "?Subject=The SKU and Market " & "&Body=Hello Team, " & VBCRLF & VBCRLF & "SKU: " & Fields!sku.Value & VBCRLF & "Country: " & Fields!countryname.Value & VBCRLF & Blah Blah Blah..

The problem is, in the above code if i add up to 8 columns, then the hyperlink is working. If i add 1 more column (more than 8) and deploy the report and when i click the hyperlinked name, outlook doesn't open. I can see processing symbol on the report tab revolving for more than 15 min and i would stop the processing. If i modify the expression to 8 columns and deploy the report, hyperlink will open the outlook with data. More than 8, it dies.

Is there any specific reason for this. Is there any conditions or anything i am missing. Do we have any limit for Fields or Parameters in the expression. Please let me know.

Thanks,
SK
Post #1560664
Posted Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:20 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 3:40 PM
i don't think it's the number of fields, i suspect it is the max length of a mailto link command; you are hitting the limit.
paste the string in a decent text editor and see how long the working vs non working link is.

Lowell

--There is no spoon, and there's no default ORDER BY in sql server either.
Actually, Common Sense is so rare, it should be considered a Superpower. --my son
Post #1560704
Posted Friday, April 11, 2014 11:25 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:42 PM
Hello Lowell,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i am hitting the limit. The limit is around 308.

Looking to work on some VB.Net code and generate the email..

--
SK
Post #1561077
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse