Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Checking other 5 other columns for change and if they have set field null Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 4:18 AM
Phil Parkin (4/4/2014)
Lempster (4/4/2014)
You could also use a 3rd party custom component such as the Checksum component from Konesans to calculate and store a checksum for the five address columns you are interested in and then compare the checksum of the source columns to the checksum of the destination columns; if the checksum values are different then at least one of your source columns has changed.

Disclaimer: I am not connected to Konesans in any way.

Regards
Lempster

This is a good solution. For good performance, you should consider persisting the checksum as a new column in the target table(s).

Absolutely Phil, hence I stated '..calculate and store...'

Lempster
Post #1558465
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 6:53 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:06 PM
Lempster (4/4/2014)
Phil Parkin (4/4/2014)
Lempster (4/4/2014)
You could also use a 3rd party custom component such as the Checksum component from Konesans to calculate and store a checksum for the five address columns you are interested in and then compare the checksum of the source columns to the checksum of the destination columns; if the checksum values are different then at least one of your source columns has changed.

Disclaimer: I am not connected to Konesans in any way.

Regards
Lempster

This is a good solution. For good performance, you should consider persisting the checksum as a new column in the target table(s).

Absolutely Phil, hence I stated '..calculate and store...'

Lempster

I should have read your post more carefully! The lure of the Friday-afternoon beer is already proving distracting

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1558476
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 7:50 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 4:18 AM
Koen Verbeeck (4/4/2014)
Lempster (4/4/2014)

....but...the OP specifically stated that they didn't want to go down the scripting route.

Yeah, but c'mon, all the c# code is already in the article :)

I know, but then again there is something to be said for 'if you don't know how something works, don't use it (in Production)' or words to that effect.
Post #1558513
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse