Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Create single cube from multiple identical OLTP databases Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:45 PM
I need to create a single cube from about 50 separate, but identical relational databases, each representing a different client, each with a different value of ClientId. The client databases have dim tables like customer but CustomerId = 1 may exist in every client database representing a different customer for each client.
The fact tables in the client databases have up to 20 million rows.

How do I create a single cube from these? I've tried creating multiple data source views but do not know how to get more than one represented by the cube. Can I somehow use partitions to add or remove a client? Data is typically added at different times for different clients, so it would be preferable to process on a client basis.
Post #1557164
Posted Tuesday, April 1, 2014 2:41 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 4:07 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to consolidate everything in a centralized data warehouse?

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1557209
Posted Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:29 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

I don't know if that's the easiest approach. That would entail creating a 600 gig relational database and another step to populate it from the 50 odd client databases.
I would prefer cutting that step out if possible.
Post #1557240
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 12:20 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 4:07 AM
You could use partitions, but since you have only 1 data source this would mean setting up linked servers, which I would try to avoid (performance wise).

You would also have to resolve the issue that you have conflicting customer IDs.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1558376
Posted Friday, April 4, 2014 7:47 AM
Valued Member

I'm pretty new to OLAP. What I've decided to try is creating a relational db which just has views for each table. Each view unions selects from the multiple client databases, plus adds a DatabaseId column. I'll use a composite key (ex DatabaseId, CustomerId) in the relationships to the dim tables.

Another option would be to build the same db with tables instead of views.
Post #1558510
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse