Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

DBAs happiest people at work Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:49 PM

http://mobile.news.com.au/finance/work/careerbliss-survey-ranks-database-administrator-as-happiest-job-in-america/story-fnkgbb3b-1226868951892

is it really true??

Post #1556708
Posted Monday, March 31, 2014 9:45 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:11 AM
I don't know but when I read it I was shocked. I would certainly like access to the raw data to confirm it for myself because I get the feeling we must be massively under-represented.

But that aside why post the question and not tell us how you feel about it yourself? Is it because you're scared to complain?

I really like working with SQL Server and it seems like the right place in tech for me. But I'm also terribly, terribly unhappy with my workplace, looking for work, and resigning this week. So, it's hard for me to look at things objectively right now. Good times... ahead?
Post #1556793
Posted Monday, March 31, 2014 9:59 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:49 PM
Cody

I was surprised on reading this article which covered almost all other jobs and industries as well. I do agree to what is written in the article. DBAs do lead comfortable work life provided they are smart to have reliable and stable database environment.

I am very much happy with my career and current workplace. To be honest, SQL Server is my baby. I am passionate about what i do and have no complaints
Post #1556795
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:36 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, October 10, 2014 12:03 PM
Cody K (3/31/2014)

I really like working with SQL Server and it seems like the right place in tech for me. But I'm also terribly, terribly unhappy with my workplace, looking for work, and resigning this week. So, it's hard for me to look at things objectively right now. Good times... ahead?

This is pretty much what I would have written if I had gotten here first.

Well, except for the resigning this week part.

Good luck.
Post #1586477
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:03 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:11 AM
Wow that was a while ago. I did quit, took a month off, took a second month off, and just when I was about to become a normal human being again I got another DBA job (it's now my first week actually).

There are no guarantees about the future however for now at least I am able to sleep at night and happy to be free of the crushing problems of the last engagement.

What sealed the deal for me, more than Ozar and co's frankly heartwarming comments about moving on from toxic workplaces, was catching up with friends who took one look at me and asked what the hell was going on. When others have a higher bar for your own well being than you do - that's a huge wake up call. But I kept in there trying to make things better... that's my flaw. Oh well it's over now.
Post #1586684
Posted Thursday, June 26, 2014 5:07 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 12:11 AM
Cody K (6/26/2014)
Wow that was a while ago. I did quit, took a month off, took a second month off, and just when I was about to become a normal human being again I got another DBA job (it's now my first week actually).

There are no guarantees about the future however for now at least I am able to sleep at night and happy to be free of the crushing problems of the last engagement.

Congrats.

I think it can be polarizing as a DBA. I have seen both ends of the spectrum. It seems more rare than it should be to find that nugget of a job that is not entirely demoralizing.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1586685
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse