Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

The Unusable User Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 9:16 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Unusable User

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1554751
Posted Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:49 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:56 AM
Indeed a good question Andy, Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Post #1554764
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:19 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 12:49 AM
Great question, thanks.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1554800
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:21 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:49 PM
Interesting question, thanks Andy.

Post #1554817
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:46 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 9:52 AM
One of those where I had no clue as to the answer so picked a random one to see what the real answer was--therefore I learned something today, which is always good!
Post #1554826
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:23 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 10:37 AM
Good one Andy, Very very different one..

(I got the answer wrong, what I did is created the user (one query) and just mapped to the database (another query), but in both no role was set. I then logged in as this new user and tried to query the table and it gave permission error and then I executed another query in the admin window for adding role, when I disconnected and connected with new user and checked the output was seen. So I thought of the orphaned option thinking might be role has not been associated.)

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Post #1554853
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:37 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 11:08 AM
3 easy points blown.

must.read.question.carefully.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1554870
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:58 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 1:53 AM
It's possible that he is in the wrong context, but we'll assume based on the intro that he is in the correct place.

I'm admittedly a bit of a newbie and certainly a BI developer rather than a DBA, so I accept that I'm going to get a lot of the questions wrong. However, when an explanation starts with 'we'll assume' I feel a bit cheated. I know that assuming something is a certain way is a surefire way to waste a lot of time. I'm sure that everybody has had a conversation along the lines of:

You/them, 'have you checked..?',
You/them, 'it's definitely .....',
You/them, 'yeah, but have you checked it?
You/them, 'oh'

Don't get me wrong, I learn something every time, I just feel that answers that make assumptions can stack the deck against getting the answer right, particularly when the assumption can rule in\out a valid answer.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
—Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher
Post #1554881
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 6:52 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 10:20 AM
It's possible that he is in the wrong context, but we'll assume based on the intro that he is in the correct place.

Nope, based on the preamble

first confirming the login exists on the instance and then finding that it does not exist in the database used by the application

it's clear that although he's in the right context, he's checked the wrong database by mistake.

Post #1554922
Posted Wednesday, March 26, 2014 7:51 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 10:26 AM
Toreador (3/26/2014)

Nope, based on the preamble

first confirming the login exists on the instance and then finding that it does not exist in the database used by the application

it's clear that although he's in the right context, he's checked the wrong database by mistake.

I agree, being in the wrong database seemed like a much more likely scenario to me.
Especially since there was no use statement preceding the command.

Had the command included a use statement for the appropriate database, then I would have assumed the more obscure answer since there was no mention of a database restore.
Post #1554955
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse