Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Isolating services Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 8:33 AM
Hello ! I understand that isolating services reduces the risk that one compromised service can be used to compromise others.
How about when you manage multiple sql servers? Is there a best practise, i.e. SQl server service accounts per service/per environment etc?

Thanks!
Paula

Post #1547981
Posted Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:49 PM This worked for the OP Answer marked as solution
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, May 5, 2014 6:31 AM
the prevailing wisdom is to use a separate service account for each server with the minimum permissions required to run the service.
Post #1548056
Posted Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:38 AM This worked for the OP Answer marked as solution
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:14 PM
paulaalkz 9229 (3/5/2014)
Hello ! I understand that isolating services reduces the risk that one compromised service can be used to compromise others.
How about when you manage multiple sql servers? Is there a best practise, i.e. SQl server service accounts per service/per environment etc?

Thanks!
Paula

There is always a trade-off. SQL server service accounts per environment is less secure but easy to manage. SQl server service accounts per service is more secure and managing is not that easy. Also depends on how big and complex the environment is. Obviously best practise, is SQL server service accounts per service.

--
SQLBuddy

Post #1548358
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse