Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Time to Retire Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 10:03 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:09 AM
Luis Cazares (2/17/2014)
Nadrek (2/17/2014)
[quote]
Word without the ribbon = LibreOffice.
Solitare is under Games - after you use the Package Manager to search for it and install it, along with a bunch of other games (that don't need Flash, and don't install spyware and advertisements and IE addons and toolbars).

I know that, my family doesn't.

You can teach them that, or you can teach them Win8.

Choose wisely.
Post #1542211
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 10:12 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 7:21 PM
Or I can marry and move out

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1542214
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 12:20 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 2:56 PM
The tech debt things certainly rings true for me. There's nothing like working through the source code for an old report and finding that what it was reporting was total rubbish. But as a previous editorial said " End users will continue to do whatever they’d already decided before they saw the numbers."

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1542243
Posted Monday, February 17, 2014 1:46 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:56 AM
Funny this article comes up. Saturday I was at my parents house and my Mom said look at this message I am getting on our PC.... she fires up the PC and low and behold it is Windows XP. I could have swore when we upgraded her from Windows ME it was to Vista.... yikes... so.... Sunday I ordered her a new PC with Windows 7. I don't want to try and teach an 80 year old how to use Win8 when i don't even have it myself. So, there will be one less XP license being used in a week or so... LOL

Post #1542276
Posted Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:12 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:16 AM
I get the value of leaving XP behind. I also get the pain and potential expense involved at the family level. Like many of you I just bought my Mom a new machine and did my best to move all the stuff she needed over to the new one. Not everyone has the money, time, or skills to do that. Moving to Windows 7 on the same hardware is possible, so I wish that there was some $19 upgrade to a minimal version of Windows 7 that could be done in place.

Cloud based storage (dropbox, skydrive, google drive) should ease this pain some going forward. Should we start to point our not-technical-at-all friends and family to something like Chrome OS?

It's different at work, at least some. There are often compelling advantages to moving to a newer version of hardware or software. It feels like it's only moderately painful as long as we do it often, the five year gap between SQL 2000 and SQL 2005 allowed a lot of inertia, debt, and complacency to set in.

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1542599
Posted Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:40 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:37 AM
Markus (2/17/2014)
Funny this article comes up. Saturday I was at my parents house and my Mom said look at this message I am getting on our PC.... she fires up the PC and low and behold it is Windows XP. I could have swore when we upgraded her from Windows ME it was to Vista.... yikes... so.... Sunday I ordered her a new PC with Windows 7. I don't want to try and teach an 80 year old how to use Win8 when i don't even have it myself. So, there will be one less XP license being used in a week or so... LOL

I understand their annoyance. Imagine being told your 6 year old car, or washer, or furnace had to be replaced, not because it no longer worked, but because the manufacturer decided it was not good enough and decided you need to buy the newest one.

Frankly it's annoying as hell.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --
Post #1542616
Posted Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:55 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

jay-h (2/18/2014)
Markus (2/17/2014)

I understand their annoyance. Imagine being told your 6 year old car, or washer, or furnace had to be replaced, not because it no longer worked, but because the manufacturer decided it was not good enough and decided you need to buy the newest one.

Frankly it's annoying as hell.

I can understand both sides of it really... the thing is a furnace, washer, car doesn't run completely on software that needs to be patched every single month. If Microsoft kept supporting every single operating system forever they would have a nightmare on their hands and it would be quite expensive for them to write a patch for each different operating system. So, it is a little different than a mechanical product sitting in your kitchen.

The thing is with an appliance when it gets to 9+ years half the time when a part goes bad it is cheaper to buy a new product than the part.... our Fridge compressor died at 8 years old... new fridge was cheaper than compressor... and it was 40% more energy efficient... dishwasher the same thing.... the heat exchanger on our furnace died and we got a new furnace that was 17% more efficient because it was cheaper than replacing the heat exchanger in the old one.

Post #1542624
Posted Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:14 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 4:19 PM
Markus (2/18/2014)
I can understand both sides of it really... the thing is a furnace, washer, car doesn't run completely on software that needs to be patched every single month. If Microsoft kept supporting every single operating system forever they would have a nightmare on their hands and it would be quite expensive for them to write a patch for each different operating system. So, it is a little different than a mechanical product sitting in your kitchen.

Every appliance, car, or other consumer item is possibly subject having a recall, and or the lower level of a permanent warranty item.

And if the SW was actually built correctly, why does it need monthly patches?

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1542640
Posted Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:26 AM

Ten Centuries

Jim P. (2/18/2014)
Markus (2/18/2014)

Every appliance, car, or other consumer item is possibly subject having a recall, and or the lower level of a permanent warranty item.

I think you answered your own question... Humans write code and humans create products... they cannot possibly think of every single way someone could exploit the code or use a product. It isn't a Microsoft only problem.. I am sure they would love to have uncompromisable code from the get go. It would not give them bad press and would be cheaper in the long run to not have to patch in the future.

Think about a lawnmower today... all of the safety features that have to be put on them and how many bold print warnings in the owners manual... I remember hearing a guy that used his lawnmower to try and cut his hedge.. lifted the lawnmower up and it ended up falling on him and cutting him up quite badly and he sued the manufacture.... you cannot make a fullproof product... who would have thought that someone would try and use a lawnmower to cut a hedge....

Post #1542647
Posted Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:32 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 7:21 PM
Jim P. (2/18/2014)
Markus (2/18/2014)

The same reason we have new models of any appliance. The difference is that appliances can't get patches applied.

Luis C.
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1542653
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse