Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

ssis working with existing package Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:38 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 25, 2014 11:17 AM
I have an SSIS package that I would like to open and see what it contains. I have never used an SSIS editor to look at what is in an SSIS package. (I have worked with DTS packages years ago).

Thus I have the following questions about looking at and possibly modify an SSIS package that is setup for a swql server 2008 or sql server 2008 R2 database:
1. What type of file should I open? Should I open a file called ssispackage.sln? Is the last node called *.sln?
If not, what type of file should I open?
2. Is there a certain type of visual studio editor that I should use? For example, for an SSRS reports I open a bids editor and for programming in C# I open up an editor that is setuyp for C# programming.
3. Basically can you give me directions on how to open and work with ssis packages that are for sql server 2008 or sql server 2008 r2?
Post #1540474
Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:52 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:18 PM
wendy elizabeth (2/11/2014)
1. What type of file should I open? Should I open a file called ssispackage.sln? Is the last node called *.sln?

.sln is a solution, not a package. A package is .dtsx.

your best bet is to export the file from the msdn and open it up in VS 2k8 inside a project for SSIS.

2. Is there a certain type of visual studio editor that I should use? For example, for an SSRS reports I open a bids editor and for programming in C# I open up an editor that is setuyp for C# programming.

Open it up in either BIDS 2k8 or VS 2k8. Nothing else. 2k5 versions will not be able to view a 2k8 package, and VS2010 or SQL 2012 will upgrade the package and not allow you to downgrade it.

3. Basically can you give me directions on how to open and work with ssis packages that are for sql server 2008 or sql server 2008 r2?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms169917(v=sql.105).aspx
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/173918/How-to-Create-your-First-SQL-Server-Integration-Se
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl0Vze2_6_o

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1540479
Posted Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:10 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:15 PM
your best bet is to export the file from the msdn and ...

And if that fails, you could also try MSDB

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #1540590
Posted Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:06 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:18 PM
Phil Parkin (2/12/2014)
your best bet is to export the file from the msdn and ...

And if that fails, you could also try MSDB

Grumble mutter... mistypes... grumbles..... Hush you!

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1541344
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse