Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

The Data Platform Vision Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:34 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, October 11, 2014 1:44 PM
Post #1540517
Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:26 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 11:32 AM
phegedusich (2/11/2014)
I'm in the financial industry. We've purchased a data warehouse solution that allows us to maintain critical and sensitive data on-site. If MS continues their push to the cloud, I'll have to adopt a non-Microsoft database technology. And believe me, I won't be alone.

I have a client that is in the same boat.

IMHO - they need to tread very cautiously toward the cloud. That said, the cloud is an acceptable solution for many situations - just not all.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1540527
Posted Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:55 PM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:42 PM
SQLRNNR (2/11/2014)

IMHO - they need to tread very cautiously toward the cloud. That said, the cloud is an acceptable solution for many situations - just not all.

Whenever I hear of depending on the cloud I think of this Stargate Episode. Then there is the Outer Limits. Let alone any of the rest of the similar SF stories.

I can't find it but I seem to remember an Outer Limits where the data is always changing in the memories of every body. But one guy grabbed every non-fiction book from the library so he knew the truth. And he started teaching others not to belive the computer.

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1540532
Posted Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:46 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:37 AM
Jim P. (2/11/2014)
SQLRNNR (2/11/2014)

Whenever I hear of depending on the cloud I think of this Stargate Episode. Then there is the Outer Limits. Let alone any of the rest of the similar SF stories.

I can't find it but I seem to remember an Outer Limits where the data is always changing in the memories of every body. But one guy grabbed every non-fiction book from the library so he knew the truth. And he started teaching others not to belive the computer.

A technological spin on an Orwellian dystopia.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1540645
Posted Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:21 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:32 AM
crazyEmu (2/11/2014)
@Jason Carter Can you post a URL to the interview...

Sure here it is.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/techonomy/2014/02/07/what-satya-nadella-told-me-before-he-got-the-job/

Jason Carter
Tampa, Florida

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young" - Henry Ford
Post #1540662
Posted Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:57 AM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Today @ 5:46 AM
There's only a few reasons we and our clients use SQL Server. It works, it's mostly cost effective, it can be installed on premise and no one has gotten fired yet for suggesting it, (aka name recognition/trust). (We will ignore interoperability since currently the applications we write are the main way our clients access the data.)

Now here's the problem for Redmond. Other solutions work, are cheaper and don't require/pimp the cloud. So name recognition/trust/lockin is the only thing keeping competitors at bay. If you don't require the "whole stack" of SQL Server, you might not need it at all. Also, if I can provide a service that doesn't require any MS software to my clients via a private/semi-private cloud or an on-premise service, what's Microsoft to do? There's more to OSS than Hadoop and PostgreSQL. Through a browser, no one knows you are a dog, or necessary what software the server runs.
Post #1540707
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse