Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

How to have multiple select statements in CASE Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:23 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 30, 2014 3:17 AM
eg.

CASE Type
WHEN 1 THEN Select * from table1
WHEN 2 THEN Select * from Table 2
ELSE Select * from Table 3
END

Am finding difficulty to write the Select statements.Please help me !
Post #1535752
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:51 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:43 AM
Can you show the context in which this would be used?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #1535764
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:38 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Based on the Type I need to query different tables to get the data.
I hope this helps!
Post #1535802
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:48 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Not really. CASE is used within a query. Can you post the whole query within which you want to use the CASE construct?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Post #1535805
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:20 AM
SSC Rookie

So as per your comments, I need to use multiple If's.... But if there are more than 100 types , then having 100 if's would not be good practice ?
Post #1535817
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:24 AM

SSCertifiable

sabeer.mvit (1/29/2014)
So as per your comments, I need to use multiple If's.... But if there are more than 100 types , then having 100 if's would not be good practice ?

Regards,
Sabeer

No, I've said nothing about IF. Post the whole query in which you want to use your CASE.

Post #1535819
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:43 AM
SSC Rookie

The sample query that I have mentioned in my post is the similar to what I need to write.
Post #1535831
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:01 AM

SSCertifiable

Where does the column [Type] come from?

Post #1535839
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:10 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:46 AM
Surely the only way you'd achieve this is with dynamic sql, which would be an absolute pig to maintain. Could you combine the various table you want to query into a single view, exposing the type too, then join on to the view?
Post #1535861
Posted Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:39 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 2:58 PM
Farlzy (1/29/2014)
Surely the only way you'd achieve this is with dynamic sql, which would be an absolute pig to maintain.

That is a pretty bold statement to make when we don't really know what the OP is trying to do.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Moden's splitter.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns
Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1)
Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2)
Post #1535923
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse