Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Too Much Choice Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, January 22, 2014 8:34 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 11:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Too Much Choice

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1533899
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:54 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:20 AM
I agree with the distraction. Give most people too much to think about and I think they suffer from a personal analysis paralysis. I know I do.

Oh, and for those of us in Britain, a valid link for the one in the Editorial is here. Funny that the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) stopped me, a British citizen accessing the Internet within Britain, from accessing their content which I paid for via my licence fee

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1534027
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:04 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:00 AM
The last time I went to http://www.iegallery.com and clicked on search providers/all there were 855 choices.
And all I wanted was a simple 'pasta con ragu'. In Italy that's spaghetti with tomato sauce.
Post #1534059
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:20 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:30 AM
Right on the mark. Just go to a grocery these days. Hundreds of thousands of items, no longer in and out with a loaf of wheat bread and gallon of white whole milk.

Of course, when applied to data, this requires intelligent decisions and built in flexibility in the event the decisions are not optimal and need to be adjusted.

Once again, wisdom trumps knowledge. Some got it, some don't.
Post #1534065
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:27 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:11 PM
As drivers get more choices, options, and opportunities to interact with information, they may not be driving as well as they otherwise might.

I find it amazing that people can't stop using their technology while driving. Someone texting on their phone is just as dangerous as a drunk driver. What is it about technology that people need constant interaction with it?

As far as available choices... everyone has their limit as to when it becomes a problem. Personally, if a restaurant has five choices, I would likely complain that there isn't enough choice. But, if it has 20 choices, I may consider that too many and have a problem choosing.

Tom
Post #1534069
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:31 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:20 AM
OCTom (1/23/2014)
As drivers get more choices, options, and opportunities to interact with information, they may not be driving as well as they otherwise might.

I find it amazing that people can't stop using their technology while driving. Someone texting on their phone is just as dangerous as a drunk driver. What is it about technology that people need constant interaction with it?

As far as available choices... everyone has their limit as to when it becomes a problem. Personally, if a restaurant has five choices, I would likely complain that there isn't enough choice. But, if it has 20 choices, I may consider that too many and have a problem choosing.

Tom

As for restaurants, we have already made a selection when we choose the restaurant whether it be a culinary style (French, TexMex, Tapas etc.) or an eating style (fast food, sit down, take away etc.) so we have already made two choices at least even before seeing the menu.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #1534075
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:33 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:30 AM
I think that's called obsessive/compulsive. Remember the old commercial line, 'Just pick one'?
Post #1534078
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:52 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, March 24, 2014 8:12 AM
I saw an article on the Detroit Auto Show (I think) some time ago. If memory serves, it was an article on ExtremeTech. Built into the dash of a concept car - I kid you not - was a touchscreen console that allowed the passenger to do Facebook and other social media, watch movies and TV, surf the Internet and pretty much anything you could do from a smart phone or tablet.

THEORETICALLY it would be angled in the production version so the driver couldn't see it, but I still have visions of idiots trying to drive from the passenger side and use the bloody thing.

Talk about a really BAD idea...

Post #1534092
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:59 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 5:44 PM
Excellent article and supporting articles as well. The concept is simple, and the advice wonderful. We have problems with focus as well as options. The more there are the more likely we are to get side tracked or confused. Thank you!

M...

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Post #1534216
Posted Thursday, January 23, 2014 12:07 PM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 11:42 AM
Paradox of Choice

Mattie

Post #1534217
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »