Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

system databases moving Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:59 AM
Just recently, I've had to move the system databases to a drive separate from the user databases due to a requirement from a 3rd party tool. We are evaluating using the backup process that our SAN vendor provides. That tool requires that the system databases be on their own SAN drive in order for the tool to work.

It was interesting running through the process. I learned a lot that I wasn't necessarily planning on learning, specially in the test environment. For example how to recover SQL when I didn't do things in the right order, or got too click happy, or fat fingered something.

Post #1530883
Posted Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:01 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:20 PM
GilaMonster (1/14/2014)
Moving TempDB is easy. The other three, not so much.

True enough. I needed to move tempdb on our production server a few months back and even that was making me nervous Not so much the moving part (which is easy) but the "how do I get things working again if something goes wrong?" aspect of it.

The others I have moved on development boxes, where it really didn't matter. Good to know how to do them, though.
Post #1531836
Posted Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:56 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 1:47 AM
oh. I am thinking that for temp db we don't need to move physically. Once you restart the server it will take the new path
Post #1539495
Posted Sunday, February 9, 2014 5:55 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

ramana3327 (2/8/2014)
oh. I am thinking that for temp db we don't need to move physically. Once you restart the server it will take the new path

Correct - when you restart SQL Server it will create tempdb at the new location. The only catch is that if for whatever reason the new location isn't accessible, SQL won't start and you'd need to restore master.

Post #1539608
Posted Sunday, February 9, 2014 10:27 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 4:48 AM
cphite (2/9/2014)
The only catch is that if for whatever reason the new location isn't accessible, SQL won't start and you'd need to restore master.

SQL won't start in that case, but you don't need to do anything as extreme as restoring master.
http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/backup-and-recovery/the-sql-server-instance-that-will-not-start/

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1539631
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 9:43 AM
Valued Member

GilaMonster (2/9/2014)
cphite (2/9/2014)
The only catch is that if for whatever reason the new location isn't accessible, SQL won't start and you'd need to restore master.

SQL won't start in that case, but you don't need to do anything as extreme as restoring master.
http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/backup-and-recovery/the-sql-server-instance-that-will-not-start/

Ah, okay - cool... I did not know that would work :)
Post #1539835
Posted Monday, February 10, 2014 12:04 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:52 AM
GilaMonster (1/14/2014)
Moving TempDB is easy. The other three, not so much.

MSDB and Model are fairly easy, too.

Master's where you have to pull out the fun startup parameters.
Post #1539900
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse