Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Solution design Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:44 PM
Hi SSC,

The extent of what I've used SSIS up till now has pretty much been moving data between environments (truncate table, insert from source to dest), but I now have a need to use it much more as a true ETL tool. For the sake of argument, let's say all the sources I'm integrating are in SQL, just on different servers and databases. I may have to gather hundreds if not thousands of distinct data points (different tables, databases, servers).

My question (hopefully I'm asking the right one) is this: Would those different data flows typically be handled by hundreds of custom individual packages in one solution, all the data flows in a single package just jam-packed with data flow tasks, or some sort of foreach iterator and loop through all the possible configurations of data retrieval one at a time, just modified with descriptive meta data (such as server, columns, tables, where clauses, etc).

Executive Junior Cowboy Developer, Esq.
Post #1528251
Posted Monday, January 6, 2014 2:41 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:55 PM
Gabe T. (1/6/2014)
Hi SSC,

The extent of what I've used SSIS up till now has pretty much been moving data between environments (truncate table, insert from source to dest), but I now have a need to use it much more as a true ETL tool. For the sake of argument, let's say all the sources I'm integrating are in SQL, just on different servers and databases. I may have to gather hundreds if not thousands of distinct data points (different tables, databases, servers).

My question (hopefully I'm asking the right one) is this: Would those different data flows typically be handled by hundreds of custom individual packages in one solution, all the data flows in a single package just jam-packed with data flow tasks, or some sort of foreach iterator and loop through all the possible configurations of data retrieval one at a time, just modified with descriptive meta data (such as server, columns, tables, where clauses, etc).

For very large numbers of distinct sources, I tend to use the generic metadata approach (your last option).
You could also use BIML to generate all of the different packages using the available metadata.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1528262
Posted Friday, January 10, 2014 11:03 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 28, 2014 7:12 PM
Additionally, I tend to go with one package per target table loaded--with rare exceptions.
Post #1529906
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse