Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Memories of 2013 Expand / Collapse
Author

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:40 AM
steve.fortner 92896 (12/27/2013)
Doh! I just hit F5 on that page and now it's working as of 9:27 am. Brent, did you fix that?

Yeah, I traced back the problem through the network wires, emptied out your browser's cache, and...

No. I was eating granola and reading the news. Got nothin' for you, man. Sorry, hahaha.

Post #1526138
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 7:41 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, February 21, 2014 7:03 AM
lol, well I didn't do any of those things. I just hit F5 and it started working. Honest. I checked with my co-worker Justin and it's now working for him. And I just bet my wife can now access it too. Eerie. Amazing what you can accomplish with some granola. Man you're good.
Post #1526143
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 8:04 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:04 AM
Taking baby steps towards utilizing PowerShell as a SQL automation tool. I had already used PowerShell extensively in other areas (VMware, Windows scripting, etc.), but this year was when it finally clicked with SQL.
Post #1526150
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 8:07 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:06 AM
Going to my first SQL Summit and shaking Itzik Ben-Gan's hand. His fundamentals for SQL Server book is what I cut my teeth on. Getting to shake Brent's hand and get a cool sticker.

Going to my first SQL Saturday and getting to talk frankly with Jes Borland, Tim Ford, and Grant Fritchey about doing presentations.

Oh, and finding out that Pragmatic Works has an auditing and notification framework, which makes my life so much easier as a data warehouse admin/developer.

Oh oh oh oh I almost forgot! Discovering BIML at Summit! Seriously, this is already cutting down the development time for our "easy" source to staging ETLs
Post #1526153
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 8:09 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Today @ 7:40 AM
joseph_c (12/27/2013)
Going to my first SQL Summit and shaking Itzik Ben-Gan's hand. His fundamentals for SQL Server book is what I cut my teeth on. Getting to shake Brent's hand and get a cool sticker.

Ha! I remember my first Summit in 2007. For me, it was shaking Linchi Shea's hand - same kind of thing, realizing that these people who write books and blogs are actually real people, and they're just like us. That was awesome.

That and seeing that there's thousands of other people who do the same thing I do - that was an eye-opener for me.

Post #1526154
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 8:51 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:21 AM
Doing my first community level presentation at SQL Saturday Dallas. Being very nervous about how it would go, and then being very relieved that I didn't completely goof up, and finally being happy that the audience really liked it.

Hakim Ali
www.sqlzen.com
Post #1526176
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 8:54 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 2:30 PM
Best: Standing up a soup-to-nuts ETL process (package templates, logging, auditing, master-child execution arrangement, etc) for a proof-of-concept SSAS cube.

Most memorable: The Production server failing, and finding out the backup server was not ready for failover (drivers missing, etc). Longest night of my professional life.
Post #1526177
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 9:06 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Today @ 6:11 AM
1. Attending first SQL Saturday in DC.

2. Watching people stare in shock when Grant Fritchey (Carlos Chacon was doing the presentation, Grant was in the second row) read an excerpt from his own book on Execution plans at that SQL Saturday and quipped "What moron wrote this?" Utterly priceless.

3. Releasing to production a SQL Server based solution that centralized data we use to bill customers. This data comprises one of the biggest if not the biggest revenue stream for our unit and was previously kept in 40-odd separate spreadsheets (don't ask - it's a long story). I also connected the data to an Excel file with several pivot tables so supervisors and management have pretty much real-time summaries of their data - something they've never had before. It's way too much fun hearing people say, "WOW, this is cool!"

Post #1526186
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 9:21 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Today @ 3:00 PM
Getting sucked into the supporting the other SW our company produces and the hosted servers we have. From there I looked at the disarray that existed.

I setup an automated backup that changed recovery from days to minutes.
I cut down the upgrade process on over a hundred hosted server from weeks to days.
We now get daily reports on whether the servers are up.
The number of minor calls for server issues has dropped dramatically.

And now the rest of the team has gone from "WOW! That's cool." to "What did you come up with now."

----------------
Jim P.

A little bit of this and a little byte of that can cause bloatware.
Post #1526193
Posted Friday, December 27, 2013 9:24 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 11:06 AM
Best SQL Server memory? 72 GB of RAM courtesy of our systems dept.

-------------------
"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Post #1526194
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse