Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Infographics Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 10:11 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:26 AM
If you are on reddit, there is a subreddit called /r/dataisbeautiful (http://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/).
Not a lot of volume, but people do post some interesting data visualizations. They are voting on their 'best of 2013' (http://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/1t3132/best_of_dataisbeautiful_2013/)
Post #1525084
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 10:19 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Today @ 8:54 AM
Revenant (12/20/2013)
peterzeke (12/20/2013)
Steve said in his editorial about Infographics:
"...but I wasn't sure how they'd translate to any of the business world's I'd worked in"

That's the catch. Infographics don't lend themselves all that well to visualizing information necessary for business (or for informing the general public on *important* matters.) . . .

Hmm. I found Tufte's pipeline diagram very useful for displaying subscriptions info: this many existing users, this many trials, this many trials converted to regular subscriptions, this many subscriptions not renewed, etc.

The only problem was that it was one hell to program.

Oh, indeed. My comment wasn't meant to suggest that all infographics fail to convey useful information, certainly some succeed, many don't. I find more "entertainment" value in most infographics rather than being "insightful". It's nice to find an infographic that succeeds to inform and generate emotion. Nonethelss, it's pretty easy to find examples of infographics that violate one of Tufte's design principles called the "data-ink ratio": http://www.infovis-wiki.net/index.php/Data-Ink_Ratio. "Above all else, show the data."

A favorite infographic of mine, if it can be called that, is the humorous map of a "New Yorker's idea of the United States" by Daniel Wallingford.

Post #1525091
Posted Friday, December 20, 2013 10:59 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 1:09 AM
The more senior the level you are trying to communicate with the less time they have to listen to your case and the more people they have trying to put forward their case.

It isn't easy coming up with an infographic that conveys the key points in a glance and grabs their attention but it is worth it.

At the other end of the scale who is going to read a 30+page document of text? If you can boil down your points to less than 3 pages by the use of an appropriate infographic then it is worth the time spent to create it.

Information has value only if it someone takes the time to look at it and gain value from looking at it.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1525111
Posted Sunday, December 22, 2013 4:53 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 11:18 PM
The pie I have not yet eaten ... http://imgur.com/4uuI2
Post #1525393
Posted Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:21 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 1:58 PM
mclarke 40933 (12/22/2013)
The pie I have not yet eaten ... http://imgur.com/4uuI2

There is more to BI data presentation than this...
Post #1525394
Posted Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 03, 2014 9:09 PM
Infographics are graphic visual representations of information, data or knowledge intended to present complex information quickly and easily understood by seeing at the pictures itself...Piktochart is an easy infographic design app that requires very little effort to
produce simple and high quality graphics.

infographics sites
Post #1535355
Posted Friday, February 14, 2014 11:14 PM
Forum Newbie

Infographics square measure a lot of obvious than written words, since they typically mix pictures, colors, movement, and content that naturally draw the attention. Since most folks have more and more shorter attention spans, we have a tendency to tend to “scan” material as against truly reading text. what is more, we have a tendency to tend to recollect info that we’ve seen a lot of therefore than scan.Infographics square measure very shareable to be used round the net. as an example, associate infographic printed on a WordPress web log or web site typically provides associate plant code. This code permits associate automatic link from the initial website to yours. they're additionally simply shared on social networks and have a stronger likelihood of turning into infectious agent compared to normal text.

infographics
Post #1541823
Posted Monday, March 03, 2014 9:12 PM
Forum Newbie

Infographics is specialized to convey data and advertisements in a more captivating and effective way.Infographics are a fun and quick way to learn about a topic without a ton of heavy reading. There are a ton of types and styles, but the ultimate goal is to make the customer understand the concept well..

Infographic sites
Post #1547151
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse