Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

The Challenge of Time Off Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:03 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:12 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Challenge of Time Off

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1524442
Posted Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:19 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:39 PM
Thanks for the reminder, and encouragement, that we are in control of our actions, reactions and choices. You have provided the right words at the right time.

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
Post #1524540
Posted Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:09 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, November 17, 2014 6:00 AM
Sound advice, but I'd like to add a related issue from the other side. I'm lucky that everyone in my team is highly motivated, but that has its challenges as well. In this context, I have several people who I regularly have to encourage to not keep working overtime, to stop work at a reasonable time, to switch off phones and email and enjoy a bit of private life. They all know they can take all their allotted time off (and, in fact, enjoy a lot of flexibility on top of that), but they still push themselves hard.

This doesn't make my life easier, of course, but I'll happily live with it given their work ethic is like gold dust. My point, though, is that making sure someone gets time to recharge their batteries is not an employee's problem; it's a shared problem.

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
Post #1524567
Posted Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:36 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:06 AM
Very well said, Steve!
Post #1524580
Posted Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:36 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Sunday, November 23, 2014 2:48 PM
I don't know when the last time I've had two consecutive weeks off from work, except when I was between jobs or contracts. However, I still squeeze in about three weeks of vacation a year. When one of my deliverables has been deployed successfully to production, or if it's just stuck in QA, I'll request Friday and Monday off and make it a long weekend. I've still got the cell phone turned on, but it rarely rings when I'm on paid leave. When something needs my attention, I'll buckle down and stick with it until it's finished, but when things wind down, I expect my employer to loosen up when it comes to approving time off. I think most employers understand that's the way it is with good IT talent.
Post #1524581
Posted Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:48 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, November 14, 2014 8:17 AM
Well said Steve! I guess when all is said and done......I'd rather my family have fond memories of family vacations than remember I was never home and always at work.
Post #1524586
Posted Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:15 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:14 PM
I'd worked for over 10 years before I took more than a week vacation. After 12 days of my 2 week vac, I literally felt stress leave my body. I stopped exhibiting stress habits and I slept better. I am fortunate to work at a company that lets me take a 17-day vacation and not skip a beat. Worth every penny.

A lot of parent's vac time gets nickled and dimed either because their kids are home from school or sick. 4-day weekend <> vacation.

Post #1524611
Posted Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:23 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:06 AM
I'm rather fortunate to have a job where taking time off is not a problem, though it's only during the slow part of the year (late spring, summer, early autumn). In the busy months, there is no time off except for major emergencies, and that goes for all employees. But at least I can make plans around it.

Tony
------------------------------------
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Post #1524618
Posted Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:31 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:28 PM
Amen.

I have complained previously about being forced to take my time off at specific times but now I am on the verge of one of those "specific" times and about to enjoy the rest of the year off.

I'm getting on a plane and leaving it all behind at least for a good solid week.

My laptop will go along and there may be a call or two - but nothing so important that I need to be tethered to it the whole time.

Very happy holidays to the whole community - I am going to try my best to stay away for a while
Post #1524627
Posted Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:58 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 10:19 AM
I've got the personality to be able to shut this place off as soon as I walk out the door, for the most part. I try and do this every day, not just when I take vacation. I've been back a little over a week now from my 18 1/2 days off in a row. I can honestly say I didn't think about work more than 6 times the whole time I was gone.
Post #1524653
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse